Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42/M43/NGC1977 RGB with the MakNewt... yes, another one!

SteveL

Wow!

This is just stunning. Nice one - you must be very proud, I would be...

PS. I like the reprocessed on - the bottom one, it's got those 'album cover' qualities about it.

cheers

Iain

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone could do any better than that Steve, absolutely stunning. Probably the best earthbound M42 I've ever seen.

Was comparing it with Rob Gendler's M42 in his book.... its almost there! Hey, his was taken with a huge 20" or 26" RC from New Mexico, so I`m not overly surprised that mine is not going to be of that quality ;-)

Absolutely! I have just searched their archive for M42 images and yours is definitely good enough IMHO.

Its an American site so you'd best not tell them it was taken using a Skywatcher 190MN Mak-Newt You'll need to pretend it was taken with an Astro-Physics or a Ritchey-Chrétien light bucket :D

Don't forget to use a FLI or SBIG camera too :hello2:.

Tony..

I don't think anyone could do any better than that Steve, absolutely stunning. Probably the best earthbound M42 I've ever seen.

Was comparing it with Rob Gendler's M42 in his book.... its almost there! Hey, his was taken with a huge 20" or 26" RC from New Mexico, so I`m not overly surprised that mine is not going to be of that quality :hello2:

Very close though Steve....Imagine what it would have been like from New Mexico :D

Definitely send it off to APOD....you have nothing to lose!

Cheers

Rob

I was gonna ask that Steve. There isnt a stacking procedure that will allow the stacking of all subs and let the core resolve itself is there?

If you get the time, or get bored, I have over 4 hours of data with the qhy8 on M42, maybe twice the fov of this one, that is just crying out for an experienced hand to process it :D

More importantly, I heard the news about Sony today. Is your dept. under threat?

TJ

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve it looks like a very rewarding scope, the 190MN.

Do you get any flexure issues with the supplied dovetail bar, where the scope attaches to the mount? Also with your guidescope do you piggyback the guidescope ontop of the 190MN's OTA using another dovetail bar?

I was going to get a 190MN but was worried about flexture issues.

Clear skies

Archived