Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

SteveL

M42/M43/NGC1977 RGB with the MakNewt... yes, another one!

Wow!

This is just stunning. Nice one - you must be very proud, I would be...

PS. I like the reprocessed on - the bottom one, it's got those 'album cover' qualities about it.

cheers

Iain

I don't think anyone could do any better than that Steve, absolutely stunning. Probably the best earthbound M42 I've ever seen.

I don't think anyone could do any better than that Steve, absolutely stunning. Probably the best earthbound M42 I've ever seen.

Was comparing it with Rob Gendler's M42 in his book.... its almost there! Hey, his was taken with a huge 20" or 26" RC from New Mexico, so I`m not overly surprised that mine is not going to be of that quality ;-)

Absolutely! I have just searched their archive for M42 images and yours is definitely good enough IMHO.

Its an American site so you'd best not tell them it was taken using a Skywatcher 190MN Mak-Newt You'll need to pretend it was taken with an Astro-Physics or a Ritchey-Chrétien light bucket :D

Absolutely! I have just searched their archive for M42 images and yours is definitely good enough IMHO.

Its an American site so you'd best not tell them it was taken using a Skywatcher 190MN Mak-Newt You'll need to pretend it was taken with an Astro-Physics or a Ritchey-Chrétien light bucket :D

Don't forget to use a FLI or SBIG camera too :hello2:.

Tony..

If I ended up going to Olly's place, it would be for the Helix Neb! :D

Wow! First class M42, crystal clear Steve, beautiful mate. :salute:

Didn't you resolve a superb "Helix Neb" earlier this year Steve?

Jeff.

Was comparing it with Rob Gendler's M42 in his book.... its almost there! Hey, his was taken with a huge 20" or 26" RC from New Mexico, so I`m not overly surprised that mine is not going to be of that quality :hello2:

Very close though Steve....Imagine what it would have been like from New Mexico :D

Definitely send it off to APOD....you have nothing to lose!

Cheers

Rob

Didn't you resolve a superb "Helix Neb" earlier this year Steve?

Yes, but that was with the GRAS remote scopes, not my own kit.

Just stacking the 30x60s sequence, and will layer it in on top of the current version.

I was gonna ask that Steve. There isnt a stacking procedure that will allow the stacking of all subs and let the core resolve itself is there?

If you get the time, or get bored, I have over 4 hours of data with the qhy8 on M42, maybe twice the fov of this one, that is just crying out for an experienced hand to process it :D

More importantly, I heard the news about Sony today. Is your dept. under threat?

TJ

Let me have the raw subs, flats, bias, etc, and I`ll have a play.

And our division is safe... for now... as far as we know....

Thats good news. I guess no job is really secure atm.

I'll pop the files on a dvd then and post them up. Best I can get out of them is here

http://ukastronomers.com/Tim/image/10898_large.jpeg - thats just the central area crop, but im keen to see how much of the outer stuff can be brought out.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Steve it looks like a very rewarding scope, the 190MN.

Do you get any flexure issues with the supplied dovetail bar, where the scope attaches to the mount? Also with your guidescope do you piggyback the guidescope ontop of the 190MN's OTA using another dovetail bar?

I was going to get a 190MN but was worried about flexture issues.

Clear skies

The standard swkywatcher dovetail flexes a lot, so I replaced it with an ADM dovetail. My guidescope is placed in an ADM side-by-side plate, with the 190MN located on the other side.

Edited by SteveL

Steve, why haven't I seen this on APOD yet then?

They do occasionally show British imagers efforts!

Barry.

I did submit it, but why would they want to show yet another M42? :)

I did submit it, but why would they want to show yet another M42? :)

Oh no Steve! I've heard that sentence before somewhere.....??!

In the dim and distant past........!

Barry.

Now that is a nice M42, lovely colour there Steve

Philj