Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yum yum

Ags

They aren’t actually Tak eyepieces but are bought in from an outside supplier  Daiichi Optics in Japan. Apparently quite sharp on axis but not so good off axis. Think they are really intended to go with the Starbase achro which again is made for Tak as a “beginners” scope but the Tak name isn’t used on the scope.

The same eyepices are made for other brands by Daiichi. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

They aren’t actually Tak eyepieces but are bought in from an outside supplier  Daiichi Optics in Japan. Apparently quite sharp on axis but not so good off axis. Think they are really intended to go with the Starbase achro which again is made for Tak as a “beginners” scope but the Tak name isn’t used on the scope.

The same eyepices are made for other brands by Daiichi. 

Kind of defeats the purpose of an ortho if it isn't well corrected across its narrow field.  Might as well package Kellners or RKEs.  Seems like a decent Chinese made Plossl might be a better option unless those orthos have exceptional polish and stray light control.

The Starbase achro refractor is an 80mm f/10 so not very demanding on eyepieces. Probably OK in such a slow scope.

Think I’ll be passing on these orthos. Bet they are available for half the price under other brand names.

546BEC6F-DB4D-4342-B1A1-600142CE2667.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bingevader said:

I thought this was going to be about Jaffa cakes, or at least looking at them through an expensive EP. :D

Had to look up Jaffa cakes.  A bit disappointed because I thought they sounded vaguely Stargate-esque:

spacer.png

These guys are known as the Jaffa (pronounced jah'FAH).  I was thinking, "Cool, Stargate inspired food!".  But no, not even close.

• Like 2