NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 1318 Sadr region Ha

gorann

Moon is up and I had two clear nights (with a rainy day in between) so I have been shooting Ha with my Esprit 150 and ASI1600MMpro (on Mesu 200). This was the first try of the TS 3" 0.79x reducer/flattner on the Esprit so I posted the first panel separately to show how well the reducer worked, at least for the ASI1600 image chip. So here is a two panel mosaic finished off last night. 18 x 15 min on the right side and 20 x 15 min on the left side, with a large overlap in the centre to give more data to the details there (all at gain 139, offset 50 and -20°C).

The nebulosity surrounding Sadr (gamma cygni - the central star in Cygnus and the big one to the right in the image) is vaste so this mosaic could be expanded but I think my next plan for the object is to collect RGB with my ASI071 to make a HaRGB image.

Coments most welcome!

20190915 IC1318 E150HaMosaicPS9sign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 11

Goran,

How do you do RGB with a different camera, resize the image in some way. A superb shot of a region I photographed a month or so back with the Canon from you which is the norm, very red and brown in and around that area. Looking at your reminds me of the old girls around her always setting fire to piles of leaves and making masses of smoke.

Alan

Hi Goran , cracking image , I think I will aim my scope at that area ..  

I spent many years as a freelance photographer, before that a very keen amature who shot mainly B&W and printed them for display . 

Can I suggest that you have another go and reprocess the image , but keep in mind that you need to have blacks and whites , and all shades inbetween , as my tutor told me , your image looks "muddy " more just shades of grey .. just remember not to clip the blacks or the whites ..  not sure what software your using..  .. 

hope you don't mind the comment , Just trying to help .. 😊

Brian 

10 minutes ago, Brian28 said:

Hi Goran , cracking image , I think I will aim my scope at that area ..  

I spent many years as a freelance photographer, before that a very keen amature who shot mainly B&W and printed them for display . 

Can I suggest that you have another go and reprocess the image , but keep in mind that you need to have blacks and whites , and all shades inbetween , as my tutor told me , your image looks "muddy " more just shades of grey .. just remember not to clip the blacks or the whites ..  not sure what software your using..  .. 

hope you don't mind the comment , Just trying to help .. 😊

Brian 

It was processed in PS, but this is not really a B&W image, it is a hydrogen alpha image so I am not sure your experience in B&W photography really applies. I could easily make it more contrasty with fewer shades of gray but that would destroy much of the information in the image and make it rather useless for the further processing when I add RGB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian28 said:

I process all my images in PS and LR , my images are also Ha , take a look if you get a minute .. 

it will apply .. 

anyway .. nice shot 👍

My point is that if I make it more contrasty I will lose dynamic range and much of the 16 bit of information in there. I could do it if I settled for just making a contrasty Ha image but this one is esssentially just part of the red channel in an image to come.

Well done Goran.  What would we do without the Ha filter?  I have a solid week of clear sky starting tonight (we'll see if it really happens that way), and with the Moon near full, Ha it is.  The problem is the Ha filter tends to spawn images that require completion--it gets in the way of OTA changes.

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Well done Goran.  What would we do without the Ha filter?  I have a solid week of clear sky starting tonight (we'll see if it really happens that way), and with the Moon near full, Ha it is.  The problem is the Ha filter tends to spawn images that require completion--it gets in the way of OTA changes.

Rodd

Thanks Rodd!

Well, that is the fairness of the moon. We all get the same full moon at the same time even if some are on the clearest highest mountain. And as you say, a Ha image is just the start, but a nice one.

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Goran..   and no microlensing around Sadr!

Dave

Thanks Dave, and yes, I got annoyed with the microlensed Sadr and let PS work on it a bit. Only using curves and layers to flatten out the artefacts, no clone stamping. In any case, I will soon use the RGB data from the ASI071 on it when I get it. Let the Sony chip save what the Panasonic messed up. They both have their good and bad sides.

• Like 1