NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meteor breaking up or artefact?

I just missed this visually last night, as when I came in and sat down in the observatory it was just on the screen from the all sky camera.

Any idea what’s going on? Is it a reflection or a meteor that broke up into pieces?

TIA

Adam. 

3A43E172-A9D9-4900-94D4-E534079B4A31.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like a pair that’s caught one half flare and other full satellite flare, ie similar orbit but one slightly ahead. I’ve noticed over over last couple of weeks where for a few nights a pair appear over different areas of sky , in one capture had equally similar slightly odd looking capture. I’ll post a few when get a chance and can dig them out. Normally they don’t flare and just see the light traces. In summary I’ve noticed similar. (Writing from phone hence brief explanation)

Edited by jam1e1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

If captured at end or beginning of exposure and nothing in next or previous frame makes good case for meteor or debris 🤔 me thinks...

There is nothing in the previous or following frame, but I dont whereabout within the 45s frame it occured

23 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

@jam1e1 that does look similar indeed.  I've picked up a fainter trail, but that may well be due to my darker site.

i think you've got the 180deg lens, i got the 150deg hence expect yours would be fainter as slightly 'slower' lens - though ill swap your skies for mine :)

just been thru last nights captures, spotted a pair again in first capture and separately a flare from single satellite (suspected) in second, similar to yours.

did a video of the pair too, but no flares on this run.

Oculus-2019-09-12T03-02-40-959.png

Oculus-2019-09-12T03-15-42-436.png

• Like 1

On 08/09/2019 at 22:55, tooth_dr said:

I just missed this visually last night, as when I came in and sat down in the observatory it was just on the screen from the all sky camera.

Any idea what’s going on? Is it a reflection or a meteor that broke up into pieces?

TIA

Adam. 

3A43E172-A9D9-4900-94D4-E534079B4A31.jpeg

If you zoom in and stretch it a little in Photoshop, you can just about see what it is:

ZoomedIn.JPG.2154f433e587ccf09fe3a211c065e49c.JPG

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I've come back to this and I would like to present some more evidence to the experts!

Firstly I combined the two frames, to create a single image - the meteor/flares must have occured at the end and beginning of 45s exposures.

2135178667_Data-relating-to-15097-combined-2019-09-07T23-46-20-90123-47-53-074.thumb.jpg.98b24db5fa1b6fe85c29d93ba234fa42.jpg

Next I located data from another all sky camera approx 25 miles away, corresponding to the same time as my capture.

IMG15097.jpg.97e36a62f403b917e26f8c59544c4921.jpg

I then rotated and overlaid the data above with my data.  There is a little cloud that isnt present on either frame either side of the above image.  It appears to line up with my meteor capture.  I wonder could this be meteor dispersion, and thus confirm it was a meteor?

1189289150_Data-relating-to-15097-combined-2019-09-07T23-46-20-90123-47-53-074.thumb.gif.8deeaf630729402137bf453592ae855e.gif

• Like 1

Some of them look an awful lot like aircraft trails to me.  Are you near a flight path at all?  They can sometimes "flare" a bit, though I suspect that's unlikely at the times your images were taken.

I've found flightradar24.com quite useful for eliminating aircraft since I discovered that it's possible to go back in time, though I don't think they show (all) military aircraft.  We get quite a few of the latter around here, sometimes playing stupid games.

James

6 hours ago, JamesF said:

Some of them look an awful lot like aircraft trails to me.  Are you near a flight path at all?  They can sometimes "flare" a bit, though I suspect that's unlikely at the times your images were taken.

I've found flightradar24.com quite useful for eliminating aircraft since I discovered that it's possible to go back in time, though I don't think they show (all) military aircraft.  We get quite a few of the latter around here, sometimes playing stupid games.

James

I do get occasional planes but I’m not on a flight path.  I would typically see planes heading to America.

I seen another suspected meteor dispersion cloud picked up in the other camera 12 minutes earlier as well, but I didn’t pick up a meteors or cloud in my camera. This also made me suspicious 

The above images were taken at 23:47 on Sept 7th.

A cam 25 miles away would have the meteor in a different place than you have. 

My guess is also a flare (or better: two). Typically, those would not be visible 25 miles away, as a flare is a very local event. 

1 hour ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

A cam 25 miles away would have the meteor in a different place than you have. 

My guess is also a flare (or better: two). Typically, those would not be visible 25 miles away, as a flare is a very local event. 

It isnt in the same place, the gif is a bit misleading as the meteor is still visible from the bottom layer when the meteor cloud appears. 

Edited by tooth_dr