Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pluto? - Pushing my Luck...

Stub Mandrel

Not easy as  deep down in the light pollution and moonlight.

Stack of ten images from the ASI  120MC, inverted:

Pluto.thumb.PNG.4e08a277bc3846f1a590526374226960.PNG

With Stellarium image for the same minute overlaid. Interestingly two brighter stars not keyed - show up as black dots. Several stars dimmer than Pluto match up:

867397651_Plutostellarium.thumb.png.1551627447634ac9f3edbf41dfd10ccb.png

The little spot that lines up with Pluto:

2125982623_Plutopointer.thumb.PNG.b9322a6498d0e11c4f4cb86847590fdd.PNG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Craig--even wait a week and get the same shot  (maybe a few days)--there would be a n obvious movement (hopefully not out of the frame!).  I remember once  on the same night I saw Uranus and Neptune--both very clear and colored spheres, I told the GOTO to find Pluto.  I never knew if it did, because there were only stars in the FOV....now I know why. 

Rodd

Congratulations ! I've never attempted Pluto but I have attempted to find it in my C8 with 10mm and 2x barlow . Not an easy task just to observe . But it takes some time observing and if you can image it say next month to see if its' moved . You wont see evidence over night from what I have read about observing Pluto . Good luck and look forward to more updates on this ! 

You will be able to see Pluto's movement over a series of days... see this excellent gif by Carlos Faribairn using a DSLR with 200mm lens over 8 consecutive nights:

https://giphy.com/gifs/3oEjHBbpWeFcnV5kvC?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=Embeds&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Fdslr-astrophotography.com%2Finterview-dslr-astrophotographer-carlos-fairbairn%2F

• Like 2