NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My new "Lunar Pilot" watch

parallaxerr

I picked this new watch up today, it's a Bulova "Lunar Pilot". As much as I'd like one of the new Omega Moon Watches, they're a bit out of my price range, though ironically I did sell a Seamaster to fund this purchase and some other potential goodies (probably a Panoptic 24mm).

What I find really interesting is the story behind this watch - Omega and Bulova were bidding to be the official watch suppliers for the Apollo program and obviously it was Omega that won in the end. But, Bulova asked Apollo 15 mission commander David Scott to take one of their watches to the moon to try out. During the mission, Scotts Omega broke with the glass popping off the case, so he ended up wearing the Bulova for his EVA's. It is the Bulova that can be seen on his wrist in all the Apollo 15 lunar EVA photographs. Scotts Bulova Lunar Pilot recently sold at auction for over $1.6M!

The watch has a high frequency Quartz mechanism that is touted as being the most accurate there is. Running at over 4X the frequency of a standard quartz mechanism, it is claimed to keep time within +/-10secs per year. I've synchronised it with my radio controlled Citizen watch which updates daily from an Atomic clock broadcast in Europe, so we'll see how it performs.

I think it's really good looking and it's nice to have a watch with a story behind it.

20190907_125314.jpg

20190907_125242.jpg

20190907_125233.jpg

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Nice watch.  Very clear dial. 

I like chronographs.  I have a Seamaster that really needs a service but I could buy a new telescope for the service cost.  

Also a Citizen which, like yours, sets itself by radio signal.  It is very accurate when I'm at home, but hotel rooms seem to deprive it of a good radio signal and it drifts a little when it can't get the signal.

• Like 2

From my mid twenties I always wanted an omega speedmaster but could never afford one.  For my 50th couple of years ago I was in a situation to be able to afford one and bought a TAK FC100 instead as I have wanted a really good refractor since I was eleven! I looked at the Bulova which I think they reintroduced a couple of years ago. I belive they are a bit tricky to find. There's a great thread on it over at watchuseek.com

Wear it in good health.

• Like 1

Beautiful timepiece, Jon, and lovely story :). I don't know why but I tend not to wear watches, but my older brother would love to see your timepiece. He retired from programming in his fourties and ever since has been an amateur horologist. Because many of the small parts, the faces or hands are hard to track down or no longer in production, he makes many of them himself and even the tools used are things of great beauty and intrigue. A most fascinating world.

• Thanks 1