NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

advice required

Hi everyone, in something of a dilemma. been observing for a few years, but only started to get into AP probably last winter. My initial setup was a Skywatcher 130P with a Samsung Galaxy S7, which inevitably led on to more expense...

Earlier this year I was lucky enough to get a Skywatcher 200P and an EQ5 mount from a scrap metal dealer for 30 quid (honest!). He'd weighed in the counterweight, but it was all basically there, albeit a bit battered, and I did have to clean the primary mirror, as I think it had been sat outside for a little bit.  Still, it works brilliantly for viewing now.

I also managed to get a Canon 450D before realising about issues with primary focus on newtonians...

Anyway, I digress. Where I am now is that I'd like to get into some DSO imaging this winter in the UK and I've found myself with about £600 to play with and am wondering what the best bang for my buck would be? 

I'm tempted to get a synscan upgrade for the mount and a s/h 130 or 150 PDS, but would appreciate members thoughts. would I be better off trying to flog the EQ5 and go for a s/h HEQ5?

I appreciate that I'm taking baby steps into AP here, and am not looking for the all singing, all dancing solution (at the moment!)

cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick and welcome!

Baby steps are good .......

I think you have probably answered your own question in that I would always look at the mount first.
Without a solid (tracking) mount you are always gunna have rubbish results.
The kind-of starter mount for astrophotography is the SkyWatcher HEQ5 (PRO) or similar, as it has everything to get you startered, inc. polar alignment scope.

Saying that I had a Celestron CG-4 mount (same head as EQ3-2) and modded it with the SkyWatcher SynScan upgrade (plus polar finder extra cost) and it worked a treat for years. All this was done though before I got wind of the HEQ5 and really should have waited to get this....

From here you can mount a whole range of scopes and should last you years if not a lifetime.
Check out AstroBackyard and a little clip with Nik Szymanek on YouTube.

All the best
MJ

thanks, to be fair the EQ5 has got the polar mount already, and with a Synscan upgrade ought to be capable (I think) of doing most of the HEQ5 does, but I take the point of investing for the long term in the mount so I'm not having to upgrade again in a few years time. It is the sensible route, although it might mean an imaging scope has to wait a bit longer.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by mickstanger
speeling

On 06/09/2019 at 17:39, wimvb said:

You can add the goto to your eq5 and invest in a short fl refractor, such as the 72ed or 80ed + field flattener.

With your newtonian you also need to invest in a coma corrector for ap.

that is the dilemma really - get a goto upgrade for the EQ5 or save up for a HEQ5. What is the difference between a EQ5 with synscan/goto upgrade and a HEQ5 w/ synscan?

10 minutes ago, mickstanger said:

that is the dilemma really - get a goto upgrade for the EQ5 or save up for a HEQ5. What is the difference between a EQ5 with synscan/goto upgrade and a HEQ5 w/ synscan?

Load limit, I believe. The eq5 is rated at 6.5 kg for imaging. The heq5 can handle 11 kg. But that's on paper only. Tracking accuracy depends very much on what you put on the mount, and where you put it. A newt, although lighter, will catch more wind than a frac. (im)proper balancing also affects tracking. 

If you decide for the heq5, concider the belt modded version, or do the belt mod afterwards. It's easy to do, and improves tracking. 

Edited by wimvb

You should be able to get yourself a second hand EQ6 Pro for £600.  If you plan to image with the 200p, then you may struggle with the HEQ5 when you add the weight of camera, guidescope etc.

I'd focus on the mount first, this is where you'll get the biggest improvement in your images for the money you spend. If you compromise on the mount and upgrade your optics at the same time then you'll see less of an improvement than just getting the best mount you can afford.

many thanks for the responses. In terms of imaging, I wasn't particularly planning to image with the 200P, and was probably going to get something a bit smaller (or, lighter - although I get a reasonable view from my garden, Salisbury Plain isn't that far away, so am hoping to get out and about a bit). Good to know what the differences are though.

I think the message is clearly one of "no, really - get the best mount you can afford" 🙂

The 200P isnt a bad match for an EQ6 at all. I really like my EQ6, and you will be able to get a belt modded one for £600.

There also shouldn’t be issues getting focus with the 450d on the 200.

If you do decide to get an eq6, you’ll want to get into auto guiding.  Factor in £30-40 for a guidescope and adapter, and another £50-80 for a guidecam, and few leads £20-30.  It starts to add up unfortunately but there are super used bargains on here.