NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Arik EFW2 camera rotator

Davey-T

Couldn't decide which section to put this in so it's here.

Purchased this many years ago and seem to recall that the camera could be rotated by loosening a couple of grub screws, never bothered before, usually just rotate the whole thing in the focuser but trying to image at high dec' last night and filters wheel is fouling the  fork mount .

Tried to loosen screws with a tight fitting Allen key screwdriver but appear to have simply rounded them out.

Can someone confirm that this a camera rotator or did I imagine it, can't find the instructions ATM.

Thanks

Dave

Atik-EFW2.thumb.png.b2020fd8fa78ff85f078736095ed6403.png

• Like 1

I think in principle you can rotate the camera by loosening them.    I would be wary of doing so without a good hold on the camera as there is not a massive amount of metal  tubing (camera end) inserted into the FW.

It would not take much of a slackening to release everything... (!)

I found this PDF which suggest both that the camera 'can' be rotated easily , and the screws are 'Locking'....  hmmm, both then.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/581905/atik-cameras-efw2.html

34 minutes ago, Craney said:

I think in principle you can rotate the camera by loosening them.    I would be wary of doing so without a good hold on the camera as there is not a massive amount of metal  tubing (camera end) inserted into the FW.

It would not take much of a slackening to release everything... (!)

I found this PDF which suggest both that the camera 'can' be rotated easily , and the screws are 'Locking'....  hmmm, both then.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/581905/atik-cameras-efw2.html

Thanks, had an idea that was the case, looks like they were done up by Arnie in the factory, no way were they coming loose.

Look to be about 3mm so may have a go at drilling them out, steel in aluminium, what could possibly go wrong 😂

Dave

• Haha 1

I've used those grub screws in the past.  Unfortunately, my Atik EFW2 is dead as a result of the USB connection breaking.  I tried to repair it but seems a broken USB connection is not the only problem.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Thanks, had an idea that was the case, looks like they were done up by Arnie in the factory, no way were they coming loose.

Look to be about 3mm so may have a go at drilling them out, steel in aluminium, what could possibly go wrong 😂

Dave

I know where you can get a 2.5mm left-handed drill bit :D

James

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
On 31/08/2019 at 15:05, Davey-T said:

Tried to loosen screws with a tight fitting Allen key screwdriver but appear to have simply rounded them out.

Can someone confirm that this a camera rotator or did I imagine it, can't find the instructions ATM.

Sorry to resurrect this thread Dave. I am just unboxing my s/h EFW2, and have the same question. Yes they are definitely intended as rotator locking grubs.

However mine lacked allen keys, and I'm blowed if I can get any  from my allen key set to fit it just right.

What size allen key did you get to fit, although having stripped the head maybe it's not that size anyway..!

How did the drilling out go by the way?

50 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Matthew, managed to undo one and drilled one, I think it was 2mm key but couldn't swear to it as I replaced them with longer normal allen head bolts.

Dave

Ok thanks for the info. Actually not long after posting this, I gave mine one last attempt, and 50 thou allen key did undo both grubs.

Sensible RE allen bolts - I shall do the same. What thread is the female tapping (assuming you didn't re-tap your holes obviously)?

4 hours ago, choochoo_baloo said:

Ok thanks for the info. Actually not long after posting this, I gave mine one last attempt, and 50 thou allen key did undo both grubs.

Sensible RE allen bolts - I shall do the same. What thread is the female tapping (assuming you didn't re-tap your holes obviously)?

3mm I think from memory, I can check tomorrow.

Dave