Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pier level

souls33k3r

Hi All, 

I will shortly be updating my thread on the pier progress but just wanted to quickly find out how important is it for the pier to be level? If I put my leveller east to west on the pier adapter, its perfectly level but if I put the leveller north to South on the pier adapter it still sits within the center range but is more towards the end of the line which means the North side of the base plate (I know it is because I've got washers underneath it) is slightly raised. 

I do plan on taking the washers out from the North side of the base plate to see if that makes any difference but just wanted to find out how important is level? 

Here's a video showing the level issue. When I say north, the level was pointing East to West and when I say WEST the level was pointing South to North 

It doesn't have to be level in any direction to enable polar alignment but having it East-West level as you have it does make drift alignment easier as there is then less interaction between azimuth and altitude adjustments. North-South doesn't matter, as you will be tilting the mount much further than this error when you adjust your altitude.  If your required altitude adjustment is say 51.0 degrees, because of your error you'll have to tilt your mount by say 50.9 degrees instead. :smile:

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 3