Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cabeling solution for remote operation from office.

Hi! 

I was thinking for the future set up, imaging this winter. 

What labeling solution is recommended? I need to run close to 20m of cables to when I want the mount to be located. Les trees, farthest away from streetlamp ect. 

I long 220v cord, ethernet is no problem. But how do you do it with USB connections? 

A mini pc rening NINA, or a Pi4 is a future solution (dedicated mount solution). But now I want to spend the budget on guiding equipment, filters and so on. 

I wouldnt make a habit of running mains 220v outside. I have a Nevada 12v psu indoors and I run a cable out to the mount. Yellow one, typically used for 110v on building sites, they stay flexible when cold. 1.5mm cross section so minimal voltage drop though the PSU is adjustable up to 16v. You just need to figure out how to distribute to the various accessories at the mount. Regarding control, I've just started using a RPi4 with Stellarmate and I'm very impressed. Wireless control from any device connected over a Wifi network. If using APT I run a ethernet cable out and use a Startech USB extender. Works up to 50m. Very stable connection. Highly recommended.  Or to keep things simple, you could do the old laptop in a plastic box beside the mount, least likely option to develop connectivity issues. Lots of options.

• Like 1

Having a computer of some kind (RPi4 is probably the cheapest option) at the mount is perhaps the least painful way to go.  Run ethernet to that (or use wifi if it will reach) and you can control it from inside the house.

James

• Like 1

My very old PC laptop Im trying now ( found it in the attic) is very old. A rp4 would be sweet as hony. But I just found out about N.I.N.A. And really like the workflow and layout. 

Best of all worlds. Would be something that work at home and dark sites. 

As a newbie, there is alot to invest in. But some computer at the mount, seems to be a better solution. 

19 hours ago, Rocket Stars said:

But some computer at the mount, seems to be a better solution. 

And probably cheaper than going for USB extension cables/repeater. I use NINA (thumbs up) on a LapTop at the mount and remote control it with windows remote desktop connection.

On 25/08/2019 at 23:54, david_taurus83 said:

I wouldnt make a habit of running mains 220v outside.

Why not? We're not imaging in rainy weather.

• Like 1