NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1318 Butterfly Nebula in Cygnus

carastro

Taken from Home, Bortle 8, two sides of a Meridian flip making the processing VERY fiddly with 7 filters to process. Necessitated removing the observatory dome onto the dome table, also a very fiddly job, especially when trying to be quiet in the early hours.

Long time since I did any imaging from Bromley in the summer but needed to test my kit out before I go to Kelling next month after the problems I had at Astro Camp a few weeks ago. 

I haven't done this target since the early days of imaging with a DSLR in 2012 (apart from a pathetic version with my Newtonian when the FOV was too small and the processing naff), so nice to revisit it. 

WOZS71
Atik460EX
HEQ5
Ha Both 7nm and 3nm combined (experiment) 22 x 600 in total
Oiii 11 x 300 binned
Sii 12 x 300 Binned
Stars
RGB 4 x 150 binned each

Total 6 hours 5 mins

Experimental palette as I didn't like the results of any of the conventional ones, so this is SOH

spacer.png

I was fiddling around comparing the data from the 2 Ha filters, and realised from the files I had saved I have only used half the data.

Decided to do a colour re-balance while I was at it, it is now less Pink!!!

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 12

Brilliant Carole. I like the colours, it’s very pleasing. 

Thanks Adam. 

Using your old EFW, the 9 positions are very useful as I now have a Hotech Idas filter in there and 2 Ha filters, as I am trying out the Baader 3.5nm Ha filter and comparing it to the 7nm.  Before I had your wheel I would normally forget to put on the screw on LP filter, now I can't forget if I am using your wheel.

Carole 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carastro said:

Thanks Adam. 

Using your old EFW, the 9 positions are very useful as I now have a Hotech Idas filter in there and 2 Ha filters, as I am trying out the Baader 3.5nm Ha filter and comparing it to the 7nm.  Before I had your wheel I would normally forget to put on the screw on LP filter, now I can't forget if I am using your wheel.

Carole 

Funny I was thinking about it yesterday.  Glad it’s still performing well.