Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dimmable Red lighting for outside observing area?

Alan White

I wish to pick the collective brains of SGL please.

My observing pad, now darkening my observing areas, see my thread in DIY Observatories, leaves me with the perverse problem of now being too dark to sort out kit before and after use.

So looking for an exterior Red Light solution that is dimmable, what have you fine folks done outside?

Yes I can use a torch but looking for a better fixed way of doing it, I have mains power available at the pad.

34 minutes ago, Gina said:

LED lighting strips and the appropriate dimmer.

Probably an easy solution if they can be kept under cover when not in use, or packed away.  Not sure if they're weatherproof.

Alex (YawningAngel) and I both used them for our observatories and they come with a remote control that can dim them and, if you have the multicolour ones, set them to bright white at the end of the night to help with packing away.  This is the sort of thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-5-20M-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-Dimmable-Sound-Activated-Color-Change/392162411548

I also bought aluminium channel and a diffuser cover for them to fit into.

James

• Like 2

They're supposed to be waterproof so shouldn't need keeping under cover.  Some LED light strips are not waterproof though so you have to make sure.  I would suggest the coloured strips as you can use white light if you want or red for night vision.  I don't do observing so I use white, single colour.  When I first set up my observatory I had red lighting and white lighting.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1