NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 7009 The Saturn Nebula

Petergoodhew

Before starting an imaging run I now do some test images with different filters, exposures, and binning to see which combinations work best. When I examined the OIII 1800s bin 2x2 test image I was surprised to see an asymmetric outer shell with intricate structures, and so factored this into my image capture plan.  This is the result. There is also a very faint diffuse OIII shell that is even further out from the core.
I found processing this to be a real challenge, with 7 filters, and exposures varying from 30 sec bin 1x1 to 1800s bin 2x2. Integrating images with such extreme dynamic range was also a challenge. I was concerned by some lighter parts of the sky background, but after checking with other images available online it became clear that this was integrated flux nebula.

This is a total of 57 hours of integration.

Captured on my dual rig in Spain.
Scopes: APM TMB LZOS 152
Cameras: QSI6120wsg8
Mount: 10Micron GM2000 HPS

NGC7009.jpg

• Like 18

A really wonderful capture, 57 hours hells bells, that dedication for you, 3 hours for me is just about enough then I get fed of seeing the same thing on screen. I don't think I have seen this before and you can see where the name comes from.

Alan

23 hours ago, alan potts said:

A really wonderful capture, 57 hours hells bells, that dedication for you, 3 hours for me is just about enough then I get fed of seeing the same thing on screen. I don't think I have seen this before and you can see where the name comes from.

Alan

Thanks Alan. It’s rarely imaged because the core is very small and very bright. I’ve searched extensively online and haven’t found any images of these outer halos.

Peter