Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Three Globular Clusters - M12, M56 & M71

PhotoGav

Over the summer I have been acquiring data for various globular clusters. I already posted M92 back in June and here are three more completed images for you to compare and contrast:

M12

16,000 light years away in Ophiucus

M12-LRGB-07-Flat.thumb.png.84573b16794961aafa1659b28f98187a.png

M56

32,000 light years away in Lyra

M56-LRGB-05-Flat.thumb.png.97bf7ed3b7c1286ef7b6ee881fa72b6b.png

M71

13,000 light years away in Sagitta

M71-LRGB-05-Flat.thumb.png.d5240e7cc9573324d722fac7a37354ec.png

M12 & M56 have one hour in each of R,G & B and M71 has two hours in each channel. I have combined all subs to make a 'SuperLuminance' layer in each image - I find that this works pretty well to maximise the data and improve clarity a bit.

All were captured through a Celestron EdgeHD 8" on a Mesu 200 mount, with a QSI 683-WSG8 & 31mm Astrodon filters. Processed with APP and PS CC.

Some say that all Globular Clusters look the same, but I hope this selection goes some way to changing your views on that! Most noticable is the difference in the star fields between the three images, starting on the edge of the plane of the Milky Way with M12, getting closer with M56 and right in there with M71. M71 is also known as The Angelfish Cluster - can you see him... swimming up to the left towards about 10 o'clock?!

I look forward to hearing what you think and in the meantime... clear skies!

• Like 18

Very nice trio, great colour. Spot on with the Angelfish profile, I used to keep tropical fish in a previous life.

I can still find some distant galaxies in the M12 image, bit more of a challenge on the others looking into the Milky Way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Nice set Gav, should have entered the Glob imaging challenge, they were complaining that there weren't many entries :grin:

Dave

Thank you. I’m just a few months late with my entry!

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Very nice trio, great colour. Spot on with the Angelfish profile, I used to keep tropical fish in a previous life.

I can still find some distant galaxies in the M12 image, bit more of a challenge on the others looking into the Milky Way.

Thank you. Yes there is definitely something faint and fuzzy just below M12. Looking on Sky Safari - it is PGC 1103219, a 15th mag galaxy about 870 million light years away!

• Like 1

Very nice Gav!

That galaxy in the M12 picture pops out when you do the clicky-biggerise bit, and I like the details in M71 - the stream of stars at the 7 o'clock are nice, and there is a cool little arc of stars at about 2 o'clock on the main cluster!

And yes, I can see the Angel Fish :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2019 at 11:05, daz said:

Very nice Gav!

That galaxy in the M12 picture pops out when you do the clicky-biggerise bit, and I like the details in M71 - the stream of stars at the 7 o'clock are nice, and there is a cool little arc of stars at about 2 o'clock on the main cluster!

And yes, I can see the Angel Fish :)

Thanks Daz!