NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alt/Az Goto mount for 8 inch F4. 5 Newtonian OTA.

I enjoy using my Orion Optics eight inch Newtonian tube. But am now considering an Alt/Az goto mount. There are so many objects seen, but remain unidentified. I am not overly keen on using Newtonian tubes with German equatorial mounts. I would really like to hear if there are others out there with this type of setup. Also would consider a push to system. I currently use an Altair Sabre mount. And wonder if there is a push to system that can be fitted to this mount. 

I had a thread on this a while back, Altair told me it would be about £2K to purchase,
I passed on that option very quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/altair.astro/posts/altair-sabre-mount-with-prototype-encoders-and-astro-devices-nexus-dsc-computer-/1947552825487895/

The second link is the Facebook posting from Altair.

Edited by Alan White

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Be interested in what you go for Grumpy.

I do intend getting some kind of affordable goto for the Newtonian. I'll keep you posted. I have put a third tube ring on the Newtonian. The main two rings are left short of being tight. This allows the telescope tube to be rotated. Might help if it comes down to an equatorial. 

I once looked at the AZ EQ5 but people were reporting issues with movement in AZ I wonder if that has been sorted out now? Another option is a Ioptron AZ Pro as I see FLO sell just the mount on its own if you want it, good if you have your own M12 bolt tripod. Only thing to consider with that is the scope clearing the tripod legs. The pier option looks good though, maybe too expensive. 

• Like 1

Agree with Stu’s suggestions on this.  I’ve spent a lot of time looking for solid goto alt-az mounts for TEC140 and/or C11.  Somewhat different challenges by comparison with an 8 inch Newt, to be sure. I’ve been using the AZ EQ6 mostly in AZ mode for a couple of years and have nothing but positive things to say about it.  It spends most of its time on a pier and I swap the scopes on and off as required.  I’m always looking for a goto mount that’ll do the job with my scopes but which is significantly more portable - those available seem to fall just short on carry capacity.  And generally speaking, I don’t think that’s the right side of the line to be. With either of my scopes, the AZ EQ6 tracks very well even at high mag and points accurately.  It’s not an easy ‘grab and go’ but it’s very stable (a consideration with the longer tube Newt) and easy to use. And, if you want to image, you have the EQ mode as well. In my view it’s always better, if you can afford it and weight and luggability are not an issue, to go for the beefier option. Apart from  anything else, it allows you to mount something bigger one day if you want to and to mount up more than one scope at a time without have to worry about overloading. The AZ series, incidentally, come provided with the fittings you need to mount two scopes on opposite ends of the AZ axis. 

Bottom line: I’ve been very pleased indeed with the AZ EQ6 and continue to be so.

• Like 2