The Observing Area Build

Alan White

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

@Rusted somehow I can guess how you know how good the gun thermometers are. Years ago we got an early thermal camera and I home tested it on my house and it horrified me.

Liketge reflective sheet idea, I will see how the pale grey paint goes for now though.

Thanks @Saganite

@Ratlet yes I did think about insulation and may still do so, the fan and paint was the cheapest option, so we know it may be the wrong one!

I’m anti guns

• Like 1

While we are on the subject: Topdon do a plug in infrared camera module for mobile phones.
They do an Android USB-C model and a Rotten Fruit model. Nice quality images if you like that sort of thing.
Important if you want to check if your tea/coffee is still warm. 😋 And other stuff.

infrared image mug.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

great project @Alan White - while reading the last two pages i was put in mind of a solution from another interest area of mine - older land rovers used to have what was called a safari roof to avoid excessive heating of the cabin in sunny environments. It's basically just a two layer roof open around the sides so air can flow between the two layers and the outer layer shades the inner layer. Like this:

045-1-400x300.jpeg.a7888aef4ea8a6f0e679270a58743889.jpeg

it may be a useful mounting method if you did end up adding a second material like the metal sheets mentioned above.

Cheers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, josefk said:

great project @Alan White - while reading the last two pages i was put in mind of a solution from another interest area of mine - older land rovers used to have what was called a safari roof to avoid excessive heating of the cabin in sunny environments. It's basically just a two layer roof open around the sides so air can flow between the two layers and the outer layer shades the inner layer. Like this:

045-1-400x300.jpeg.a7888aef4ea8a6f0e679270a58743889.jpeg

it may be a useful mounting method if you did end up adding a second material like the metal sheets mentioned above.

Cheers

I really like older 'real' Landies, used to run a Series 2a.
I remember the Safari roofs well.
Must say that as an idea I head not thought of this on a shed for heat.

• Like 1

Depending on the arrangement of the wood supporting your roof you might have a reasonable airflow out the top already.  Looking at your pictures there might be gaps going side to side where the roof sits on top.  All you'll need is a vent at the bottom to draw air in.