Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200P. What a BEHEMOTH !!

Just received my brand new SkyWatcher 200P OTA ( 200mm/1200mm ) I'm so excited at the prospect of an extra 70mm of Aperture and 300mm of Focal length over my other Newtonian, the SkyWatcher BK1309 EQ2 ( 130mm/900mm ) Newtonian Reflector. The extra focal length instantly increases the power of all my eye pieces, and the increased Aperture gives me much more resolving power and obviously much more light gathering potential. The size of the thing is also so impressive!! I started out with a small Newtonian Reflector 114/500 and compared to that it's GINORMOUS!! It even dwarfs my current ( well, now ex-current ) largest Newtonian Reflector, the 130/900 !! I'll try take some images with my phone until i can afford an imaging camera.

Edited by wesdon1
wrong size for aperture
  • Like 5

Hi John. Major Apologies for such a late reply Sir! I've been too busy to come onto the site with work and health problems. 

Yes it's the SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P ( 200/1200 ) I made a mistake with my numbers lol. It's actually 200mm Aperture, not 203mm, as stated in post! Please don't ask me how i managed to get it wrong! lol. I'm super excited, as can be seen in my original post! lol. It's the size of the OTA that's so impressive! The possibilities of seeing faint fuzzies, much better resolution with Planets, etc etc are so exciting! I'm still a newcomer to the hobby, 7 months in. 3rd 'scope owned now. gone from 114mm Aperture, to 130mm, to now 200mm, which is a substantial increase in my humble opinion. My 114/500 SW Newtonian reflector, my very first 'scope, gave great views of the planets, and even M42 aswell! So it's all been a progressive upward trajectory of excitement and wonder! I'm obsessed with my new hobby, and just wish i would have bought a telescope years ago because I've always been fascinated with Astronomy, physics, sciences etc. Just one thing after another kept me distracted. Better late than never! I assume you're a pro and have much much better equipment than i do!? lol. That white Newtonian Reflector in your picture looks Huge! Is that a 10 inch or more Aperture ? it looks amazing Sir! 

Nice to see your looking forward to using your new 200p

The 200mm newt range of scopes are just such good all rounders, and provide plenty of increased aperture for you. But at the same time so manageable to transport around with you. The 200 newt is what I class as a "proper" scope as it can provide you with all the benefits of quality viewing , but at a sensible price. I think you will get years of enjoyment out of this scope. To get the best out of it, take it to a really dark site from time to time for faint fuzzy hunting. You will be amazed at the difference a dark sky makes to your viewing pleasure of faint fuzzies, they pop , just amazing

Enjoy 🔭 👍

• Like 2

Love your enthusiasm! :)

That's a great scope you have there. It was every aspiring astronomers dream to own an 8in Newt. Now they are so affordable and available that they are taken for granted. But that aint no starter scope you have there. It is a serious instrument.

It will serve you well, Enjoy!

• Like 1