Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M63 - A Late Sunflower

PhotoGav

On 30/06/2019 at 22:01, tomato said:

+1 for that, maybe I don’t have the optimum settings, but I too can often find remnants of satellite trails in my APP processed images.

If you find a good solution... please let me know! (And please don’t say PI!)

On 03/07/2019 at 23:00, Dark Horizon said:

Saying nothing as i'm still picking my jaw up of the floor......  That's utterly excellent IMO. 

Hah, thank you!

11 minutes ago, Rodd said:

late to teh table--I like yours better than the APOD--as Olly commented--natural

Rodd

Thanks Rodd.

Nice processing Gav !

On the faint galaxy front, the lower one of these appears to known as 2MFGC 10580. I cannot see any info about the other one. 

I suggest you download the (free) program Aladin, which acts as a graphical interface into the NED and SIMBAD etc databases - it will allow you to do a comprehensive search.  

Alan 

• Like 1

Thank you Alan. I have Aladin and have tried to use it in the past, but found it very confusing and gave up embarrassingly quickly! I will give it another go. There must be a decent tutorial for it somewhere...

15 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Thank you Alan. I have Aladin and have tried to use it in the past, but found it very confusing and gave up embarrassingly quickly! I will give it another go. There must be a decent tutorial for it somewhere...

I don't know about a tutorial but you may want to check that you have a the latest version since it changed recently making it more easy to use.  When you have it.... just enter the search item (M63) wait for it to show a picture of M63, then click on the SIMBAD layer - this will overlay the image with anything interesting via square boxes. One of the boxes will relate the galaxy, hover the mouse over this box and click - this will bring up the details of the galaxy. 

Alan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alan4908 said:

I don't know about a tutorial but you may want to check that you have a the latest version since it changed recently making it more easy to use.  When you have it.... just enter the search item (M63) wait for it to show a picture of M63, then click on the SIMBAD layer - this will overlay the image with anything interesting via square boxes. One of the boxes will relate the galaxy, hover the mouse over this box and click - this will bring up the details of the galaxy. 

Alan

Perfect, thank you Alan, with your encouragement I will give that a go!