Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Low Profile Crayford Focuser

FLO

This one is going to please a lot of people :D

Skywatcher have introduced a direct-replacemant (utilizes existing bolt-holes) CNC machined 10:1 dual-speed Crayford focuser to fit their ten and twelve-inch Newtonian reflector telescopes.

Low profile with 24mm indexed drawtube, perfect for astro-photography.

Accepts both 1.25" or 2" eyepieces.

skywatcher_low_profile_crayford_focuser.jpg

Please note: Some dealers are still offering an earlier version that does not fit existing bolt holes (so requires that you drill new holes!). At FLO we only stock the latest direct-replacemant model :)

For details please see HERE

Mechanically it is superior to the standard focuser in every way but it also has a low profile (sits close to the telescope tube) so is of particular interest to imagers. A regular focuser is designed and positioned so that an eyepiece (which fits into the focuser) can be positioned at the focal point for accurate focus but a DSLR's (a DSLR sits on the focuser) sensor is set further back inside the camera body so it often is not possible to rack the focuser in far enough to reach the focal point and achieve focus. A low-profile focuser sits much closer to the telescope tube (and has a short drawtube so as not to protrude into the light path) so the DSLR can be positioned on the focal point without any difficulty.

I probably haven't explained that very well. In short, it is mechanically superior and allows you to achieve focus with a DSLR and other large imaging sensors.

HTH :)

Not one for the 8" then? Noooooooooo!!!!!

It might be okay.

When our first delivery arrives tomorrow we'll try one on a Skyliner 200p ota.

Please do Steve - I might be interested in one but for visual use - I've got a set of orthos now that need a lot more in-travel than my Naglers do and the inner end of the drawtube on the standard focusser projects well into the light cone.

John

Mechanically it is superior to the standard focuser in every way but it also has a low profile (sits close to the telescope tube) so is of particular interest to imagers. A regular focuser is designed and positioned so that an eyepiece (which fits into the focuser) can be positioned at the focal point for accurate focus but a DSLR's (a DSLR sits on the focuser) sensor is set further back inside the camera body so it often is not possible to rack the focuser in far enough to reach the focal point and achieve focus. A low-profile focuser sits much closer to the telescope tube (and has a short drawtube so as not to protrude into the light path) so the DSLR can be positioned on the focal point without any difficulty.

I probably haven't explained that very well. In short, it is mechanically superior and allows you to achieve focus with a DSLR and other large imaging sensors.

HTH :)

I understand! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If lack of inward focus is the problem then this new focuser will almost certainly be the solution. I am surprised though that you are having difficulty, it is more common that the original focuser lacks outward focus travel for some modern long focal length eyepieces (so requires a focus extender).

I am looking into replacing my R+P focusser with a Crayford on my Orion UK 20cm reflector,225mm od tube.Did you find out the minimum tube size for Skywatcher?

Skywatcher specify it as suiting 9-15" apertures but I am wondering whether they mean tube diameter as one of our customers has fitted it successfully to his Explorer 200p.

Needless to say you could return it if found unsuitable, we're good like that :hello2:

If lack of inward focus is the problem then this new focuser will almost certainly be the solution. I am surprised though that you are having difficulty, it is more common that the original focuser lacks outward focus travel for some modern long focal length eyepieces (so requires a focus extender).

The 32mm Maede just comes into focus on the moon with the focuser fully racked in. The other EP's dont even come close.

bbbhhh

I am looking into replacing my R+P focusser with a Crayford on my Orion UK 20cm reflector,225mm od tube.Did you find out the minimum tube size for Skywatcher?

Skywatcher specify it as suiting 9-15" apertures but I am wondering whether they mean tube diameter as one of our customers has fitted it successfully to his Explorer 200p.

Needless to say you could return it if found unsuitable, we're good like that :hello2:

Archived