Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar and Planetary eyepieces

SAW

Hi,

I think I'm going to purchase either a FS-60Q or FC-76DCU with x1.7 extender making it f/12.5, I'm more inclined to go for the 76 but I have no idea on eyepieces to get. I will be using the scope for imaging as well but I'd like some eyepieces for lunar and planetary viewing. I have owned a couple of Baader Hyperion's but no longer have them I only have the Baader x2.25 barlow. I was looking at the Baader zoom but even at 8mm that just about fits the whole disc of the moon in so I really not sure which sizes I need ?

Thanks.

I wouldn't go much below 8mm at f/12.5 due to the resultant tiny exit pupil (0.64mm).  If you don't need to wear eyeglasses, I'd probably go for some high quality orthoscopic eyepieces to complement your scope.

• Thanks 1

I assume you've read this Simon?

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2017/03/12/takahashi-fc-76-dcu-review/

About as much detail as you will get on this scope. The scope itself will soak up magnification like few others, the limitations will be the seeing conditions and your eyes in terms of floaters.

I regularly use exit pupils down to 0.5mm, but have switched to binoviewers as my eyes have worsened a little, more floaters unfortunately.

• Like 1