10yr Daughter getting into Astonomy

Good afternoon all.  My daughter has recently been very involved in STEM/FIRST Robotics and this year was Space Missions.  So she expressed interest in a Telescope last fall.  MY  in-Laws bought her this:

Telescope 60mm Apeture 700mm AZ Telescope - Refractor & Travel Scope for Beginners and Kids to Observe Moon and Planet with Tripod and 10mm Eyepiece Smartphone Adapter

1X 45 Degree diagonal mirror, 1X 3X Barlow Lens, 1XFinder Scope, 1X K20mm Eyepiece, 1X K9mm Eyepiece, 1X 1.25”10mm Smartphone Eyepiece Adapter

With Jupiter out this week we took the opportunity to get it out for the first time (We live in Michigan and weather stinks till now).  I have to say she was blown away that she could see the moons on Jupiter.  We also took a min to look at the moon because it was so Bright.  See the picture that my wife grabbed by just sticking her phone to the eye piece (I haven't figured out how to use the Phone eyepiece adapter yet).    

My question, if I wanted to get closer view of moon / planets what is the best setup.  I read on the forum that 9mm eyepiece will zoon more than the 20mm.  I am not sure what the 3X Barlow does for more.  Also any suggestions on eye pieces to purchase that would increase the distance would be good to know also.  

Im still learning how to fine adjust it so I am not scanning a 1 foot area to find the object in the sky im looking for lol.  The tripod seemed to move every time I had it in the center of the eyepiece

Thanks all. Im excited to continue to Learn and dive into the world of Astronomy.  

file.jpeg

Welcome to SGL Engelstine, it's fantastic that your daughter is interested in astronomy, I will contribute by letting you in on some basics that will help you in the future. Your telescope being a 60mm "refractor" basically means it has a 60mm lens which brings light to a focal point 700mm down the tube, this is your focal length, 700mm. This number is important because it determines what magnification (power) a particular eyepiece will give you, by dividing 700 by whatever eyepiece you're using you will then know what power you're using. Having said that, your 10mm eyepiece will give you 700 divided by 10= 70x magnification, just divide 700 by whichever eyepiece and voila, that's your power for that eyepiece.

With this in mind, every scope has its limits and, how far you can push a scope depends on a few things, to make things easier lets just factor in the one which we all experience the most, "seeing" conditions. Each night is not the same as the last in terms of seeing, this basically means how well the atmosphere is cooperating in order to allow a good view, some nights are hazier, sometimes there's a lot more turbulence in the atmosphere and, rising heat can make things look as though you're looking at an object through water as it distorts and shimmers. Nights such as these the seeing is bad and no matter what you try short of reducing power greatly, the image just doesn't satisfy, you'll see what I mean soon enough if you regularly observe the moon.

Another important factor is the limitations of the scope itself, telescopes are eyes that capture light, the bigger they are (size of lens) the more light they capture and therefore the more you can magnify an object, there is a general rule with telescopes, assuming seeing conditions are good, one can usually push a scope to around 25-30x power per inch of aperture (size of lens) in your case, you have a 60mm or just under 2.5 inch, so 70 power will be touching on your scopes max assuming seeing conditions are fair to good. When observing the moon, one can push higher power because the moon is bright but, planets quickly become unpleasant when one tries to exceed the telescopes limits.

Maybe you can include a photo of your telescope, this can help us determine where best to advise you, one thing is for sure, you have found the greatest hobby and, one which will provide you and your family with countless amazing times together, don't feel overwhelmed, its a journey.

Have 5yo grandson interested as well

Other night he phoned me

Poppy, poppy

See the bright star beside the moon

Told him was not a star

He responded

Poppy, has to be Jupiter

He was right

Not sure what phone adapter you referring to

A nice Dob, would probably be your next step

Later down the track, interest still there, then get a tracking scope

Would go for either 8" or 10" collapsible Dob

I have 10" one, and easy to transport and store

Attached pic taken at recent public viewing night with club belong to

Second pic, is my ED80 on a EQ5 tracking mount, taken at recent club solar viewing day

John  

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

So if x70 as noted above is about as high as you might need with that small telescope you have to consider what the 9mm and 20mm are already giving you

700/9 = x77 mag

700/20 = x35 mag

So already the 9mm is pushing the functional limit of the telescope.  The x3 Barlow even used with the 20mm will result in an effective 6.6mm which will create 700/6.6 = x106mag a magnification which is probably going to be of little effective use, and you don't even want to think of using it with the 9mm

If you try too much magnification you will lose any detail you might have seen without and the viewing will be most unsatisfactory.  Yes, I know you will try it - we all do when we start out, but you will find as I did that you are better off without it in the system.  So you ask 'why do they give it to you?'  Well it's so that they claim on the box of these cheaper telescopes 'x3 Barlow included giving a fantastic, marvellous magnification with your little scope of 233 times magnification' (which is what you'd get with it and the 9mm)' isn't our product wonderful?'  They of course don't tell you that this far exceeds the useful magnification you are going to get from a 60mm aperture.  For probably similar cost you could have got a much more functional baby Dobsonian (a smaller version of the picture above), which would not be on a wobbly tripod either.  Let daughter enjoy the moon and Jupiters satellites with what she has.  Then, if she really gets into things, then come back to SGL and I am sure the members will point you at a far more cost effective and ulitmately more satisfying improved instrument. 

• 2 weeks later...

My son is 8, as a gift from a friend he got a box with printed images of Space objects (solar system and dso). These turned out to be quite useful. He's playing with them quite often and now he knows what he wants to observe...

14 hours ago, Ignoro said:

My son is 8, as a gift from a friend he got a box with printed images of Space objects (solar system and dso). These turned out to be quite useful. He's playing with them quite often and now he knows what he wants to observe...

Ignoro

I have attached copy of Spacebadge, Joeys, scout movement, for Australia

Your son might have a bit of fun doing some of the hand craft projects

You can always use Polaris, instead of Southern Cross to find North Celestial Pole 

Club belong to does Spacebadge for Joeys, and also presentation primary schools

John

PS

Next year, NASA is sending another Rover to Mars

The attached link will enable you to register, and download Boarding Pass to have your names included on the Rover

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8440/nasa-invites-public-to-submit-names-to-fly-aboard-next-mars-rover/

Space Badge.docx

Thanks we'll read it tomorrow, I think he'll like the assignments... 

I was in the boyscouts when I was younger and it's a great thing for kids (and adults), here unfortunately there is not so much interest as before. Scouts taught me a lot of important practical experiences in life, to take care of myself, cook something, use the axe, make shelves out of branches etc, a few of us even made a whole functional bridge... Also made a lot of friends there... I remember we had some astro lessons, but I didn't have that much interest at the time😋 , maybe because no one brought a scope...

I would recommend it to anyone, I'll enroll both of my children in a few years...

Thanks for the Mars info, I'll look into it

1 hour ago, Ignoro said:

Thanks we'll read it tomorrow, I think he'll like the assignments... 

I was in the boyscouts when I was younger and it's a great thing for kids (and adults), here unfortunately there is not so much interest as before. Scouts taught me a lot of important practical experiences in life, to take care of myself, cook something, use the axe, make shelves out of branches etc, a few of us even made a whole functional bridge... Also made a lot of friends there... I remember we had some astro lessons, but I didn't have that much interest at the time😋 , maybe because no one brought a scope...

I would recommend it to anyone, I'll enroll both of my children in a few years...

Thanks for the Mars info, I'll look into it

Ignoro

Weekend before last, was out doing Goldcoast regional Cubs camp

Had 150 kids in camp for the weekend, from 15 different groups

Saturday afternoon, set up the Coronado solar scope on EQ5pro mount

That night deep deep sky viewing using 10" Dob

Jupiter was visible just after sunset, eastern horizon

Also went to Jewel Box,  Southern Cross, Omega Centauri was visible overhead

Used laser pointer, to high light Scorpio, which is now in full glory overhead

The document I sent you, also has a link to ESA kids section

Get so much enjoyment working with our youth of today,  Cubs were enthused as well

Want to learn

John 

Archived