Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter transits for June 2019

Stu

I ploughed through SkySafari to try to pick out good events to look out for around opposition and put them in a table attached here. Rough colour code is green for events above 10 degrees, red below 5 and orange for anything in between. Timings are for transiting the meridian so clearly it is worth watching earlier to catch the whole thing.

Transit times for the moon and shadow are approximate guesstimations!

Be careful on dates for the early morning ones ie don't miss it by a day as I have done in the past.

It is interesting to watch the shadow transits when Jupiter is near opposition as they get much closer to the moons themselves. I recall seeing the moons eclipsing the shadows on occasion in the past when almost exactly at opposition. This time it looks like we will miss thos, with no good shadow transits on the night.

Anyway, hope this is helpful. Please excuse any typos. If you spot any big errors, let me know and I will correct it. I accept no liability for anyone getting up for an event which is incorrectly included and doesn't happen! 🤣🤣 please check your apps first :)

Jupiter Events.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

If it's any use to you all, this is a very handy site I use to keep track of Jupiter's moons and GRS. I presume (hope) it will adjust itself for your particular part of the world. Just click on the +1hr, +1day etc. to see what features are coming, includes moon shadows as well.....  https://shallowsky.com/jupiter/

2 hours ago, JohnC260 said:

Will my Bresser 90/900 get decent views of Jupiter if I manage to sort out my mount issues?

Jupiter is not best placed currently, even though it is at opposition it only gets about 16 degrees above the horizon when it transits the meridian. I've not had much luck with it so far this year, although with some patience you should be able to see the two main equatorial belts plus some other detail if the seeing is good. I have manage GRS and also shadow transits in scopes as small as 60mm so you should get these with your 90mm.

• Like 1

I posted this link above but I think Stu posted at the same time and it may have been missed....https://shallowsky.com/jupiter/

Hopefully it adjusts for time zones and works for everyone, just click on the + symbols to see what's coming in the future.

I'm excited because it shows for me there is the GRS and a shadow transit of Europa around 9pm tonight!

I will pay good money for a clear sky! :) 

• Like 1