Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher Star Adventurer vs SkyWatcher AZ GTi WiFi mount, help me decide.

I've been planning on getting the Star Adventurer for some time now but have just discovered the Sky-Watcher AZ GTi WiFi mount which has similar specs. I have a Nikon D5300 DSLR and plan to get a Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA in the future, and maybe also a dedicated AP camera.

They both have a payload of 5kg, both have EQ capability, and both are about the same price. The AZ GTi has the advantage of GOTO and from what I can see on forums is good for Astrophotography(my main requirement).

Being 100% new to astrophotography and quite new to astronomy I can't see much difference apart from the GOTO feature. Which is why I need more knowledgeable people to point me in the right direction before I buy.

Thanks.

Edited by lifeofbrian
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian, Life of ? 😋 When I got my Star Adventurer the AZ GTI Wasn't around,

Had it been, I probably would have gone for it over the star adventurer because of the goto function.

I would have bought the Star Adventurer Equatorial Wedge to use with  the AZ GTI for better astrophotography capabilities.

I do like my Star Adventurer, as it has taught me a lot about polar alignment and also forced me to learn the sky as well. (No Goto)

I hope this helps with your decision, although you've probably already made your purchase ?

Cheers 👍

I've posted one of my photo's that I managed to get with my SA.

Eta Carinae Nebula 2019 Sharpstar.jpg

Edited by Ivan Hancock
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a similar query, so hope we can further explore what's already been discussed...

On 14/06/2019 at 07:51, Ivan Hancock said:

I would have bought the Star Adventurer Equatorial Wedge to use with  the AZ GTI for better astrophotography capabilities.

On 14/06/2019 at 18:16, knobby said:

I love my AZ GTi, polar alignment is awkward though as no real polar axis, however with Sharpcap PA feature it is a doddle !

I'm currently considering getting the AZ-GTi mount to go with my SkyMax 102T, mainly for the Go-To and tracking features. 

I've been trying to find out whether it's possible to modify it or add to it to enable equatorial tracking (astrophotography isn't my main interest, but I'd like to have that option). I've heard mention of "wedges", and understand in simply terms that they can make an alt-az mount function as an equatorial mount, but haven't found any conclusive information about whether that's an option for the AZ-GTi.

Can either of you say for sure whether the "Star Adventurer" wedge will work with the software of the AZ-GTi? Are the tracking and go-to functions compatible with it? Is there an official update to accommodate it? Or an unofficial solution? And how much of a complication is the "polar alignment" issue in practice? Having only used an alt-az mount before, I'm not familiar with the polar alignment process, although I understand the principle.

On 18/06/2019 at 01:42, pellgarlic2 said:

Don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a similar query, so hope we can further explore what's already been discussed...

I'm currently considering getting the AZ-GTi mount to go with my SkyMax 102T, mainly for the Go-To and tracking features. 

I've been trying to find out whether it's possible to modify it or add to it to enable equatorial tracking (astrophotography isn't my main interest, but I'd like to have that option). I've heard mention of "wedges", and understand in simply terms that they can make an alt-az mount function as an equatorial mount, but haven't found any conclusive information about whether that's an option for the AZ-GTi.

Can either of you say for sure whether the "Star Adventurer" wedge will work with the software of the AZ-GTi? Are the tracking and go-to functions compatible with it? Is there an official update to accommodate it? Or an unofficial solution? And how much of a complication is the "polar alignment" issue in practice? Having only used an alt-az mount before, I'm not familiar with the polar alignment process, although I understand the principle.

You can buy the Star Adventurer Equatorial wedge to use with the AZ-GTI and flash the firmware for full equatorial function astrophography capabilities.  

Wedge.jpg

Hi, thanks for all the replies - I was struggling to find anything definitive... didn't think to look on youtube >_<

That video from Astronomy and Nature TV is very informative. Sounds like it's a workable but not perfect option for EQ tracking for astrophotography, but as my needs aren't too serious, I think it'll be perfect. 😃

Thanks again for the responses 😃