Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Eyepatch to buy ? ( In UK )

I know this has come up quite a few times on Astronomy Forums, and I've read about how most people find them useful, and also about hoods etc..

My question though, is does anyone have any specific recommendations for any currently available eyepatches here in the UK ?

I've done my usual Amazon.co.uk "research" and now I'm as undecided as ever, with everything on offer having such conflicting feedback.  As with most things, some of it is worth it's weight in gold, but so much of the negative is possibly just sour grapes from people who like to rant and have nothing to compare with.

They're mostly quite cheap to buy, but I'd value any SGL'ers  actual experience of specific makes, good or bad, so that I can save time by getting the most comfortable and effective one first time.

All comments gratefully received ! 👍

I bought mine from AliExpress for $0.6. It has a hard cup. It doesn't "seal" perfectly but it also doesn't press against the eye. At a dark site it works fine for me. I have been using it for over 6 months and each session I keep switching it from one eye to another and it holds well and doesn't need replacement.  

spacer.pngspacer.png

I don't use an eyepatch so can't help there.

If I use anything at the eyepiece to cut out stray light, it's a form of observing hood which sometimes assists in picking out the faintest targets at night and also for use when solar observing during the daytime. I use a DIY arrangement but something like this might appeal to me if I were to be in the market for one:

https://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

Thanks for the replies.

Neil,  I did see those on Amazon and they look nice and simple and with the nice edge padding to the cup.  Feedback varied widely (as usual 🙄), from "perfect" to people complaining about the plasticy smell (wouldn't worry me), to the edge foam being itchy, but the comment that put me off (if true) was several people saying they were far too small.  Other makes seem to vary from 6x6cm to 7x7cms, but there was no size mentioned on this one.

Pregulla,  That looks nice and simple and I'd love to try that type, but I'm too impatient to wait for Aliexpress, I tried looking for a UK supplier, but had no luck.

John - Yes, I think I'll be getting a hood sometime, there's been lots of positive feedback on those.  I'll probably go for a solar one, to use with my newly acquired Lunt LS35.  It'll keep my bonce cooler too !  I still fancy an eyepatch too though, I'm really lucky with my garden not suffering from light pollution at all.

5 minutes ago, Astro-Geek said:

Thanks for the replies.

Neil,  I did see those on Amazon and they look nice and simple but with the edge padding to the cup.  Feedback varied widely (as usual 🙄), from "perfect" to people complaining about the plasticy smell (wouldn't worry me), to the edge foam being itchy, but the comment that put me off (if true) was several people saying they were far too small.  Other makes seem to vary from 6x6cm to 7x7cms, but there was no size mentioned on this one.

I can’t say I noticed a smell. The elastic does wear out and after awhile the foam does come lose. My first one got over a years use before I felt I had to replace it. Not bad given the price. I also have the observing hood which John referenced. I use that as well as the eyepatch. I find the combination gives the most comfort and really blocks out any stray light. I also move the eye patch to my observing eye when going inside to preserve my dark adaption. 

11 minutes ago, Astro-Geek said:

Thanks for the replies.

Neil,  I did see those on Amazon and they look nice and simple and with the nice edge padding to the cup.  Feedback varied widely (as usual 🙄), from "perfect" to people complaining about the plasticy smell (wouldn't worry me), to the edge foam being itchy, but the comment that put me off (if true) was several people saying they were far too small.  Other makes seem to vary from 6x6cm to 7x7cms, but there was no size mentioned on this one.

Pregulla,  That looks nice and simple and I'd love to try that type, but I'm too impatient to wait for Aliexpress, I tried looking for a UK supplier, but had no luck.

John - Yes, I think I'll be getting a hood sometime, there's been lots of positive feedback on those.  I'll probably go for a solar one, to use with my newly acquired Lunt LS35.  It'll keep my bonce cooler too !  I still fancy an eyepatch too though, I'm really lucky with my garden not suffering from light pollution at all.

I would not over-think the eyepatch. I've managed 35+ years without one !

Most of the time I don't use an observing hood either.

I must be a real casual astronomer :rolleyes2:

11 minutes ago, John said:

I would not over-think the eyepatch. I've managed 35+ years without one !

Most of the time I don't use an observing hood either.

I must be a real casual astronomer :rolleyes2:

I readily admit I'm a soft touch for "stuff" 🤓  (as I've probably shown with some of my posts on here already.....)

The general feedback and forum comments on eyepatches is quite mixed though, so I guess it's a very personal thing with some users actually saying it's the best accessory they've ever bought.  I did try an experimental prototype though, (a big elastic band and folded kitchen towel - no expense spared), and I found that having my left peephole blanked out without screwing my face up was more relaxing.

28 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I can’t say I noticed a smell. The elastic does wear out and after awhile the foam does come lose. My first one got over a years use before I felt I had to replace it. Not bad given the price. I also have the observing hood which John referenced. I use that as well as the eyepatch. I find the combination gives the most comfort and really blocks out any stray light. I also move the eye patch to my observing eye when going inside to preserve my dark adaption. 

I think I'll have to bite the bullet and just try one (or two, or...)

Yes, I did see comments about switching them to the other eye when popping indoors, another potential bonus.  I'd never really thought about the brain being able to retain individual "f stops" for each eye's iris, quite a bonus for us to have been born with if we're into Astronomy !

20 minutes ago, Astro-Geek said:

I readily admit I'm a soft touch for "stuff" 🤓  (as I've probably shown with some of my posts on here already.....)

The general feedback and forum comments on eyepatches is quite mixed though, so I guess it's a very personal thing with some users actually saying it's the best accessory they've everhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Telescopes-Binoculars/28179/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=80mm+refractor&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc bought.  I did try an experimental prototype though, (a big elastic band and folded kitchen towel - no expense spared), and I found that having my left peephole blanked out without screwing my face up was more relaxing.

I think there is a danger in getting into "paralysis by analysis".

I tend to favour the "lean" approach to observing - scope, a few eyepieces and a star map. Dump the lot down and get on with looking at the sky :icon_biggrin:

Another benefit of this is that the more experience you get, the easier it will be to tell whether a certain accessory or technique is likely to pays dividends for you or not.

Regarding the observing hood I have a black onr. It cuts out the light well but I should have got a white one as the black gets very hot if solar observing.

I used to use an eyepatch, it helps relax your eyes, but when I bought a hood from r-sky I haven't 

used an eyepatch  since then, I find a hood cuts out stray light as well as being able to keep both

eyes open.

40 minutes ago, Paz said:

Regarding the observing hood I have a black onr. It cuts out the light well but I should have got a white one as the black gets very hot if solar observing.

I haven't got one yet, but I was thinking of the white one for the same reason. 

Would there be any problem with using a white one at night ?

(aside from frightening any neighbors in the gloom....  👀)

7 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I use these ones. I did try another type before these that I didn’t like as much. They do need replacing every few months but they’re not expensive. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001V9CFNO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Pa58Cb40H7NTC

Fab! half price at the minute too!

I've dithered about getting one for years now!

I don't seem to manage with both eyes open and I get a tire eye if I try to keep one closed for any length of time.

I'll let you know how I get on. :)

I've got a rigid eye patch, but I never could get on with one.  Now I keep it in the eyepiece case over an uncapped end of a 2x barlow sitting vertically to keep dust out when the case is open.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the good advice and ideas I received on here after starting this thread, I've now made the purchases and I'm very pleased with them.

I bought an R-Sky hood that John linked to https://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

It was from Russia, and the product is excellent, with service to match, very quick delivery (10 days)  and prompt and detailed order progress communication from 'Roman'.

I bought the Solar version, (you were right Paz), with the white exterior and black lining, so that I can use it for nocturnal viewing and daytime solar with my Lunt (when the damn clouds clear away again).

As for the eyepatch, I bought a two "handed" versions from Amazon, https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=FCAROLYN+3D+Eye+Patch&ref=nb_sb_noss

They were a touch more expensive than the cheapest, (£7.99 each), but exactly what I had hoped for, comfortable, full blackout and the strap is shaped to be comfortable without dropping down over the other eye.  My research beforehand had revealed that some had rigid "cones" and others pressed on the eye, but these are very comfortable, shaped but still flexible and much larger, blacking the vision out completely.

I now have full flexibility, day and night, without screwing my face up during long sessions...  👍

eyepatch.jpg

eyepiece eye side.jpg

hood interior.jpg

patches and hood.jpg

Archived