Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Apollo 16 Landing Site

mike.brightmore

Hi imagers / sketchers

I'm the sec. of the Cleethorpes & District AS. At our next meeting one of our members, Peter Rea, is giving a talk on the Apollo 16 mission. Does anyone have any close ups or sketches of the landing site area? Neil has posted an absolutely beautiful image of Theophilus but by my reckoning the landing site is to the north west. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Carol. As always you are spot on and this is a good image. I've attached the Virtual Moon image at about the same magnification and can work out the names of all the surrounding craters from that. Do you agree with the landing site marked?

Any more images at different magnifications would still be appreciated so I can do a little series that gives the impression of parachuting in to the landing site.

A few years ago my daughter bought me an acre of moon. When I get the observatory set up there SGL members will be welcome to use it :)

Just looking at these landing sites etc....Is there any reason why we are able to see the Mars rovers in the high res images taken by MRO, but can't see any of the stuff left behind by the Apollo missions, despite the plethera of moon images/satellites? :)

Stef

Archived