Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader film on 14 inch SCT.

ollypenrice

I finally got round to making a white light solar filter for the 14 inch LX200, using Baader film. I cut a ring out of 2cm fibre board for the main support and then another ring of thin ply to trap the filter. Six dowels protude downwards to hold the filter on the tube but I've yet to devise a permanent safety strap to lock it in place. A 'pinhole' drilling (about 1/8th inch) in the ring outside the diameter of the tube projects light onto a screen made of roughed-up transparent plastic box lid. Once aligned on the sun I marked the position of its projected image on the screen. Whether this will remain accurate as the filter is removed and replaced remains to be seen...

After checking the filter as always and covering finder and Telrad I had a look. Everything worked but the sun was totally, utterly and resoundingly featureless! Oh well. At least I discovered that my widest field EP, a 26mm Nagler, just manages tp give a full disk. That's good.

Nothing like a router for making circles in wood! I only recently bought one for the first time.

Olly

• Like 4

I’m on my secoind router. 😁

Featureless sun. Tell me about it. Nice new HA scope and not much to look at. Oh well polarising filter arrived this morning so if the sun will only stop hiding behind the clouds. 😬

Edited by johninderby

16 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’m on my secoind router. 😁

Featureless sun. Tell me about it. Nice new HA scope and not much to look at. Oh well polarising filter arrived this morning so if the sun will only stop hiding behind the clouds. 😬

I thought of you when I saw that perfect white disk!

Olly

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

Once there's a sunspot on the disc that will all change, Olly be going all solar on us

I've been a solar fan before but our Lunt 60 was damaged in an accident. Shame, but the new Daystar looks interesting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Olly

• Like 3

Still nothing today. A perfectly pristine white circle. Imagine if it had been like this when Galileo looked at it: it would have confirmed the Platonic notion of celestial perfection and then where would we have been? :D

Still, last night was fabulous so the big SCT had a ball.

Olly