We're on our last night of over two weeks touring SW Scotland in our motorhome.  Tonight we have clear pretty cloudless horizons to both east and west.  The result is that you can see the Belt of Venus (the shadow of the Earth projected on its atmosphere) really clearly.  IMG_20190511_211646256.thumb.jpg.afaf23f6a8be2a1911d3adb4fb4e055a.jpgHere's a quick panorama shot taken with my phone. East is on the left, South is on the right.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I got it last time I was at astro camp.  That's my camping obsy in the foreground with Davey T's kit behind.  

The Earth's shadow is the grey area below the pink belt of Venus, apparently named after the Goddess rather than the planet. 

Quote from the internet:  The belt of Venus is an atmospheric phenomenon just before sunrise or after sunset, red sunlight can be seen in the upper atmosphere but a dark shadow of the Earth is on the horizon. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived