NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter, May 02-2019

astroavani

Lovely images! I've admired your planetary images in the past, but have only just noticed that you use a colour camera.

Just wondering if you did or maybe still do mono imaging, and how you find the two methods compare... Mono vs Colour?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Lovely images! I've admired your planetary images in the past, but have only just noticed that you use a colour camera.

Just wondering if you did or maybe still do mono imaging, and how you find the two methods compare... Mono vs Colour?

Hello Tom!
I've never used a mono camera, so I can not compare.
I assumed that a mono camera for my specific seeing should not surpass one colored, I explain why:
Hardly I get more than a 5 minutes of seeing stable, it alternates very quickly from good to bad in my region. So if I use a mono camera, I will hardly have a good capture on all 4 channels. Already a color camera allows me to make up to about 4/5 movies in the space that I would lose to make a single photo with a mono. In this situation, the possibility of catching a good moment in one of these 4/5 movies with the color, is much higher than getting the 4 good movies with a mono.
In short, if I make about 20 to 30 colored films I have a good chance that at least one of them has an acceptable quality.
If my seeing was more stable, the conversation would be different. Even so in the future I intend to get a camera color just to make those photos at the ends of the spectrum like IR, Methano, UV, etc.

Edited by astroavani

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2019 at 05:02, astroavani said:

Hello Tom!
I've never used a mono camera, so I can not compare.
I assumed that a mono camera for my specific seeing should not surpass one colored, I explain why:
Hardly I get more than a 5 minutes of seeing stable, it alternates very quickly from good to bad in my region. So if I use a mono camera, I will hardly have a good capture on all 4 channels. Already a color camera allows me to make up to about 4/5 movies in the space that I would lose to make a single photo with a mono. In this situation, the possibility of catching a good moment in one of these 4/5 movies with the color, is much higher than getting the 4 good movies with a mono.
In short, if I make about 20 to 30 colored films I have a good chance that at least one of them has an acceptable quality.
If my seeing was more stable, the conversation would be different. Even so in the future I intend to get a camera color just to make those photos at the ends of the spectrum like IR, Methano, UV, etc.

Hi again - sorry for slow response - lots happening!

When I started doing planetary I got a 290MC and then I noticed that one of the top planetary imagers uses a mono, so I switched. To be honest I couldn't see much difference between them, but to be fair my images aren't in the same league! It is certainly a good deal more time consuming to process mono, but then as you say you have the option of CH4 filters etc. I haven't tried that yet.

I also notice you use a Luminance filter - do  you find that helps? 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2019 at 17:11, Tommohawk said:

Hi again - sorry for slow response - lots happening!

When I started doing planetary I got a 290MC and then I noticed that one of the top planetary imagers uses a mono, so I switched. To be honest I couldn't see much difference between them, but to be fair my images aren't in the same league! It is certainly a good deal more time consuming to process mono, but then as you say you have the option of CH4 filters etc. I haven't tried that yet.

I also notice you use a Luminance filter - do  you find that helps? 

An L filter is essential for a color camera! It blocks the IR and UV that detonate the quality in the regions of blue, green and red.
Using a luminance filter is mandatory!