Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M82 HaLRGB

Rodd

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Good to see you back, and on top form again Rodd. It’s a fantastic image and I personally like the crop 

Thanks Doc...I appreciate your sentiments.  

Rodd

19 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Awesome.

A pretty popular target I think but usually a fairly bland but bright cigar is the result.

This really does show far more detail than usually seen without the use of an orbiting telescope. Really well done.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Rodd

3 hours ago, Rodd said:

The stars don't look blocky to me...enlarged for sure, Yep, thats what i mean.

I don't often have "splendid" star fields with color in the cores.  Well, me either, been fiddling around for a while, still dont get it right.?

In my defense this is a drastic crop, so the stars are bound to look sub-optimum (in my hands) Absuletly nothing 2 defend. thats the prize,U cant have it all.

Is it ok if i ask ,did you add the RGB lum to the Master Lum ?  or mixed it 0.20*+ 0.80*using Pixel Math.

MT (PI) dark ring star residuals (unless the star mask is above optimum) in a drastic crop  will not Pardon the Galaxy:)

Its a super splendid image.:)

Rush

17 minutes ago, Rush said:

Is it ok if i ask ,did you add the RGB lum to the Master Lum ?  or mixed it 0.20*+ 0.80*using Pixel Math.

I just integrated the RGB and L stacks using the integration tool using the red stack as reference (I used red as reference because I just read the tutorial about linear fitting the stacks prior to RGB combination and he used the red one as reference).  I tried Linear fitting prior to combination previously and found it yielded very good end results in several images though a lot of processing was required.  For this one I did not do the linear fit thing but I did use the red stack as reference when integrating the LRGB stacks.  I did  linear fit the SLum(Ha) to the extracted lightness of the R(Ha)GB image prior to LRGB combination.

Rodd

22 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Oooo, that’s a belter! The detail in the galaxy itself is crispy, I love it. Colours are gorgeous too.

I see what you mean about ‘cleaning it up’ as there is a speckliness to the background, which should fade away as you add more data. The question is, how much more data would be needed to see improvement? You already have a load of data in there and the diminishing return of time squared rule suggests you’d need oodles more... Out of interest, how much of the full field of view is this image? Have you cropped it much?

17 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

You're an absolute inspiration mate and a true gentleman.

Whatever progress i made in image processing (i assure you, i've come far from where i was), your tips in the past have helped me loads. Really looking forward to learning more off you :) 

18 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Really feisty image with something to say. I like it very much.

Olly

I cleaned it up a bit--I deconvolved the Luminance in linear state to improve sharpness.  Not sure that accomplished much--but it is cleaner.  It did sharpen things up nicely at first--but it was hard to retain through processing.  

Final.thumb.jpg.8e5d4a17414b64b0f7e3d536dc782737.jpg

Archived