Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Here's a toughie...

Of course you can.

WHilst cheaper kit may not have the potential of the high end scopes etc there is no reason why low end kit will not produce acceptable images.

I think a lot of people (and I am not suggesting you) think that the scope does all the work when in fact it is the skill of the user which goes a long way. You put a person with no experience of imaging in front of the most expensive kit and the image will be rubbish, you put an expeienced imager in from of low wned kit the result will be decent, albeit maybe not the usual standard he is expecting.

You can image with say a 130pm with the motors running and a webcam - less than £250.00.

I have no DSLR. Hadn't thought of that for galaxies. Take it your mount tracks??

Sure does, tracks in AltAz, which is why my exposure times get shorter as the object gets higher or further north/south. High overhead or N/S I'm looking at about 15-20 seconds. Low E/W I'm bumping against the limits of tracking in the mount at 2 minutes. You could pick up a second hand 350d body for something like £150 from ebay.

Including the scope! Can you image galaxies for under £1000?

:hello2:

You can image some galaxies without a telescope at all. I have a photo on my website of a Perseid meteor streaking across the sky - M31 is faintly visible below it. It was taken using a standard Canon EOS300D on an unguided tripod.

As others have said - it depends on what you want to achieve - the more you spend - potentially the better images you can attain (of course this depends a lot on your own skill at taking images, setting up your kit correctly - an how much patience you have).

Get a canon - they are best supported for Astro use....

I'd also recommend a PC or a TV or anything to zoom the image up, as you don't want to be trying to decide whether the image is in focus on the little tiny screen on the back of the camera, and forget the viewfinder - you want to be touching the scope as little as possible between subs you see, so going through menus on the camera will mess things up.

The best way i've found to make sure I am in focus is by plugging it into a PC (cheap laptop will do) and then taking subs until you get it into focus. One of PsychoBilly's masks will help alot with that as well.

Richie

hey

just wondering what you have at the moment?

If the answer is nothing then the setup that Ian suggested sound good.

on the other topic which you may need to look at is the experience, start by asking the people with the picture you want how they did it they are friendly honest, also try getting to grips with the problems you will have to over come to image.

doing this will show you what ur up against and perhaps what you feel is best for you

ally

Archived