Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi,

I wanted to try another sketch along the terminator using a higher magnification so I could concentrate on just one or two craters.

I used a 13mm eyepiece with a 2x barlow lens to give me 230x magnification.

There was a lot of high level cloud and a distinct lack of stars when I started, so once again I couldn't do an alignment, so made do with continually adjusting the scope to bring the crater back into view.

The twin peaks in the centre of the crater, and the intersection with Gassendi A really make this crater stand out.

ScanItem-003.jpg

A thing of beauty. Relatively new to this whole thing and never thought about producing lovely drawings like this.

Get caught up in the whole get a camera, connect a computer, stack everything and then forget I am supposed to be an astronomer, not a collector of ‘data’.

I will still persue photography, but I have been inspired to do a little old school if I can. Thank you for giving me a little perspective.

As foot note, I have two friends come to stay a week ago. The only clear night being the day of there arrival so I set up the scope, one of the duo having never looked at the moon before looked into the eye piece and thought we were pulling some kind of cgi prank.

The star of the show was Cassendi and A, just like your drawing. I didn’t know at the time but showed my friends the following day with a moon map.

Cassendi A really cuts into the main crater wall. 

Marv

Thanks for all your likes and positive comments everybody. Much appreciated. Thanks.

On 23/04/2019 at 20:53, Marvin Jenkins said:

I will still persue photography, but I have been inspired to do a little old school if I can.

Please do try it. I have to say, I find it so useful in helping me remember what an area really looks like; helping me to recognise it again if I see it in a picture anywhere.

Thanks for you comments.

On 23/04/2019 at 21:12, des anderson said:

That`s a cracking sketch, lot`s of detail and the scale is spot on, well done.

Thanks Des. That's very kind of you. Thank you. ?

I used to do a fair amount of sketching/ artwork but of landscapes and buildings. It has all fallen by the wayside over the years, but this is just the topic to get the pencils out again.

Blighted by stormy skies and a mother load of work right now. I suppose I should count myself lucky, at least being too tired from work does not coincide with clear skies, which is heart breaking.

Lurcher, give me a couple of months and I will post some sketches. I will give you a shout as inspiration.

Marv

Archived