Narrowband

Rhodes observatory visit

Hi,
We have recently come back from our trip to Rhodes in Greece. Just before we leaved home I found that there was an observatory down there. An observatory where you can rent equipment and also stay.

We had already book our room in Rhodes town, but maybe we could have time to do a daytime visit. And we did, just 10 km south of Rhodes town and we could take the local bus.

If you find it interesting I have written a short report here with photos of the place:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/rhodes-faliraki-astronomy-cafe/rhodes-faliraki-astronomy-cafe.html

I hope Gunilla and I can come back later and stay here for astro photographing.

/Lars

• Like 4

Thank you Lars for going to the trouble to post the information.

I have not been to Rhodes for many years. Perhaps there is a reason now to return?

I think you were very brave taking the bus from Rhodes down the coast.
I did it once. The driver had curtains, family photos, tomato plants and more obscuring the view from the cab.
Then he kept turning around (on bends by cliff drops) to chat to passengers he knew.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for all comments. Without risks life is not worth living!

Maybe we take a new trip down to Rhodes in September or October this year, only bring the light equipment with us, Star Adventurer and a short 150 mm tele lens. Then we rent a car and investagate the Southern of Rhodes too.

I have started to write more about wath we did in Rhodes here:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/travel/europe/travel-europe-greece-rhodes/01-greece-rhodes.html

/Lars

Edited by Astrofriend

• 2 weeks later...