NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZS73 - lens supports visible, should it go back?

I got a William Optics ZS73 a few months ago and now only getting round to use it due to the weather! Anyway, I noticed last night that I can see the lens cell supports as shadows round stars, is this normal or should I ask for a replacement?

Star.JPG

I guess lens supports = the foil spacers between the lens elements ?

Some scope designs use spacer rings in place of foil spacers which would not be visible in images in the same way ?

• 6 months later...

Nah, never did anything, happy that its pretty normal and TBH the least of my worries with the crap weather, guiding and processing!  Love the scope though, got an electronic focuser for it as well which is great

• 1 month later...

William Optics have came back today and said when the temp is around zero degrees I should use a dew band - anybody heard of this before, is it normal to use a dew band on fracs when the temperature is around freezing?

4 hours ago, blinky said:

William Optics have came back today and said when the temp is around zero degrees I should use a dew band - anybody heard of this before, is it normal to use a dew band on fracs when the temperature is around freezing?

I've always used a dew band on my frac to prevent dew forming on the front lens, be it summer or winter.

22 hours ago, blinky said:

Its going back to RVO on Monday, apparently they have a workshop and are going to contact WO to see if it can be done by them or needs shipped back

That is quite a saga, hope it gets fixed. For the record I would not have found it acceptable. 

• 1 month later...