Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first DSO---M81-M82

Seanelly

My first long-exposure image

What I remember most about the few months I've been in the imaging biz is that the worst time of year for this mortal body to have gotten into
that biz was at the start of one of our long, cold Ontario winters

Chilly story short, after much ado about everything, I've finally got a first truly long-exposure image together. Much went wrong in getting to this point,
which is reflected in the image, but I've learned a lot, and will apply my newfound knowledge to my next endeavor

I am more determined than ever to reach the stars, and after the brief respite we call spring over here, look
forward to the next long imaging season in this wonderful country, mosquito season

This M81-82 was taken with the signature gear and the
modded Canon T6i at 1600i with Idas LPS D1. I ended up
with 17 hours and 13 minutes of 5 minute exposures, 50
darks 50 bias 60 flats, DSS, and primitive rookie Photoshop
work, of which this is about the fiftieth attempt

Pictures.thumb.jpg.5390c8f1ecbead0b8420c03399766c0f.jpg

For your first images this is just supert!

Great image for such a slow scope.  Often with slower scopes and DSLR's the images are mostly just noise.
Just taking the jpg into PI i can see that you can get out some more color, there's also some Ha areas in M81.
To really make M81 looking great i can suggest you process it separate from M82.

12 hours ago, Xplode said:

For your first images this is just supert!

Great image for such a slow scope.  Often with slower scopes and DSLR's the images are mostly just noise.
Just taking the jpg into PI i can see that you can get out some more color, there's also some Ha areas in M81.
To really make M81 looking great i can suggest you process it separate from M82.

Thanks for the kind words. You're right, I had to leave something out in processing both these subjects in the same image, mostly I think because I don't have a good grasp of Photoshop yet. I've tried them separately and can get a little more from each, but I decided to stick with my original idea because while I think this deserves to be shown as my first try, there is in reality much to be desired technically. But through this cold 4 month struggle I have a much better grasp on the details necessary to produce better results, which is the most important thing.

Archived