Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera choice ...

knobby

8 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Alan

Sorry for all your woes. I hope things improve.
I don't know what mount you have or scope you're wanting to guide? ST4 connections are an industry standard, afaik. Here is a pic of a ST4 cable, they are 6-pin connectors:

ST4_1.jpg.89ba0637e7f6ecbef750c1fa8c4cd90a.jpg

ST4_2.jpg.68a6304090dfa10951da8ef81ab1ec57.jpg

They are a bit like telephone cables :)

However, you have to be careful of guide camera settings for certain guide cameras and if you're using PHD2, you have to recalibrate each time you point at different areas of the sky. Also, unless you have absolutely no choice, pulse guiding is better than ST4 guiding. I think the Mammut camera should work ok. Likewise, the Baader scope should be fine for guiding with, if it's a straight through type? Getting an ed50 sounds a bit overkill - I still use a SW 50mm finder on one of my mounts - with an adapter to fit a camera, works great! Lodestars are legendary... I think the key to successful guiding is in understanding what you're doing with both the hardware and software and the procedures you follow. It sounds like you'd really benefit from some hands-on help. Maybe you can find a local club or enthusiast? Anyway, I won't hijack this thread but you can always post anew if you need advice. Do include details and pictures too!
Louise

Louise, I have sort of performed higway robbery on Knobby's thread actually thinking it was mine, there is a list of all the gear I have without actually putting names to some of it, so check out the list in my thread same section a bit down from this, The Baader is the straight through type but for the cost I am very unhappy with it too much slog around all joints and optically poor as well as a nightmare to focus, they actually had the cheek to use the word Zeiss in the advert which fooled me 7 years back. I agree about the understanding, though for me if written in Greek may be more undersatndable. I'm the type that learns quickly when shown, sadly there is no one here.

Alan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Louise, I have sort of performed higway robbery on Knobby's thread actually thinking it was mine, there is a list of all the gear I have without actually putting names to some of it, so check out the list in my thread same section a bit down from this, The Baader is the straight through type but for the cost I am very unhappy with it too much slog around all joints and optically poor as well as a nightmare to focus, they actually had the cheek to use the word Zeiss in the advert which fooled me 7 years back. I agree about the understanding, though for me if written in Greek may be more undersatndable. I'm the type that learns quickly when shown, sadly there is no one here.

Alan

You certainly have a fair bit of kit, Alan! I'd definitely recommend pulse guiding - you just need a suitable mount control cable e.g. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html plus eqmod + stellarium + phd2, of course (I'm sure you already have it?). Yeah, it does take some time and effort to get your head around eqmod and other software but it's worth it in the end :) . It would be helpful if you put your equipment list in your signature - makes it easier for others to help.

Louise

2 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

You certainly have a fair bit of kit, Alan! I'd definitely recommend pulse guiding - you just need a suitable mount control cable e.g. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html plus eqmod + stellarium + phd2, of course (I'm sure you already have it?). Yeah, it does take some time and effort to get your head around eqmod and other software but it's worth it in the end :) . It would be helpful if you put your equipment list in your signature - makes it easier for others to help.

Louise

I have the cable already Louise Lynx, I do not put my equipment open signature as I was specifically adviced by a mate in Sofia (dealer) who sold me most of it to leave out all of the makes and gear I have due to value and the fact that people had been targeted for theft, though this was from a local site not SGL but you never know.

Alan

9 hours ago, knobby said:

Wise words Alan, too many dodgy sorts about.

After much selling of rarely used bits and bobs I've put an offer in for a 'mint' ZWO 1600 MM ... Watch this space ?

I actually have a fair bit of stuff that I would sell myself but it costs me about 30 quid to courier any item to the UK so most of the time it's just not worth it, there is little in the way of a secondhand market outside the Sofia area and now my mate has gone out of business I don't trust trying without his help. 1600MM see your going mono, I still have time to change my mind. 

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

I actually have a fair bit of stuff that I would sell myself but it costs me about 30 quid to courier any item to the UK so most of the time it's just not worth it, there is little in the way of a secondhand market outside the Sofia area and now my mate has gone out of business I don't trust trying without his help. 1600MM see your going mono, I still have time to change my mind. 

Mono ! Been umming and aahhing and decided to go for it as I'm in a red zone, I've a lot to learn but hopefully will be worth it.

About the courier charge - technically, it won't cost you, it will cost the buyer ?

It costs nothing to gauge interest on here or UK astro buy and sell.

Have a bash.

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Mono ! Been umming and aahhing and decided to go for it as I'm in a red zone, I've a lot to learn but hopefully will be worth it.

About the courier charge - technically, it won't cost you, it will cost the buyer ?

It costs nothing to gauge interest on here or UK astro buy and sell.

Have a bash.

I find the thought of mono a bit scarey, I have excellent skies here and no bad stray light. I can see the town light in the sky now which is 4 miles away SE since they have change to the LED type lighting, if that's what it is, but I am still good. As for the posting, I have actually sold a lot of stuff to the UK but mostly higher value, I even sent a HEQ 5 Pro by courier and it was 500g under the limit fo 25kg. Most of the stuff I have to move is all below 60 quid sort od level so just not worth the effort. Though I have to say since I have been playing with AP I have 3 cases of Televue eyepieces that are not getting used, last thing I sold was my Delos range, which worked well as Doc had 4 of them I think.

Alan

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

I find the thought of mono a bit scarey, I have excellent skies here and no bad stray light. I can see the town light in the sky now which is 4 miles away SE since they have change to the LED type lighting, if that's what it is, but I am still good. As for the posting, I have actually sold a lot of stuff to the UK but mostly higher value, I even sent a HEQ 5 Pro by courier and it was 500g under the limit fo 25kg. Most of the stuff I have to move is all below 60 quid sort od level so just not worth the effort. Though I have to say since I have been playing with AP I have 3 cases of Televue eyepieces that are not getting used, last thing I sold was my Delos range, which worked well as Doc had 4 of them I think.

Alan

To be honest mono is not scary at all, these days a program like Astro Pixel Processor (APP) just walks you right through combining the channels and you hardly have to do anything. But as above, if your really not going to go mono, get the best OCS you can. This QHY268c looks like a cracker if the price is right and you can wait. 

Adam

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

Alan

Why not try selling a few 'job lots'

Archived