Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Image tilt

3 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Hmmm 

is this the one you got?

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-planostar-0.8x-flattener-reducer-for-starwave-80ed-doublet-refractor-only.html

very strange description...

"Spacing from rear flat shoulder of the PlanoStar to the CCD film plane is approximately 51-56mm and one can use the Altair Astro M48 variable spacer system to fine-tune the optimum distance for their particular chip and filter setup."

It's this one, I believe:

https://www.altairastro.com/lightwave-0.8x-reducer.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Hmmm 

is this the one you've got?

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-planostar-0.8x-flattener-reducer-for-starwave-80ed-doublet-refractor-only.html

very strange description...

"Spacing from rear flat shoulder of the PlanoStar to the CCD film plane is approximately 51-56mm and one can use the Altair Astro M48 variable spacer system to fine-tune the optimum distance for their particular chip and filter setup."

No, I've got this one

https://www.altairastro.com/lightwave-0.8x-reducer.html

3 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

In this case... 

With a low profile T-Ring and Canon Backfocus, - he needs to add around 1-2 mm spacer!!!!

My standard T-Ring is almost 11mm (10.9) and worked fine with Canon and SW CC (backfocus the same - 55mm)

3 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

In this case... 

With a low profile T-Ring and Canon Backfocus, - he needs to add around 1-2 mm spacer!!!!

My standard T-Ring is almost 11mm (10.9) and worked fine with Canon and SW CC (backfocus the same - 55mm)

Canon back focus is 44mm + t ring = 55mm . The low profile t ring is is about 1.5mm thick so much to short

The Altair site states a standard t ring is needed

3 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I've got a low profile t ring. Just looks like it's gonna be expensive getting enough spacers in various thicknesses to try and adjust it. Damn these pricy hobbies.

Was referring to this post of yours and the picture you posted.

Just measure your current T-ring... You will probably need just 1mm to add

2 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Was referring to this post of yours and the picture you posted.

Just measure your current T-ring... You will probably need just 1mm to add

I just meant I've got one. It's not in use at the moment. The standard t ring gives me the correct "on paper" spacing. The low profile one would be @8-9mm too short

Just now, RolandKol said:

Misunderstood...

Sadness...

I would expect it work out of the box... Maybe with a slight distortion, but not like this...

If not too late... l would send ff back...

I've been taking to Altair via email. Been told they've never had any issues and told to get the tilt issue sorted. Hence this thread. Very disappointed actually. 

29 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Canon back focus is 44mm + t ring = 55mm . The low profile t ring is is about 1.5mm thick so much to short

The Altair site states a standard t ring is needed

I was asking before how thick and what make your standard t-ring is i.e. the one in your photo? I might be wrong but it doesn't look like any of the standard t-rings I have.

Louise

Just now, Thalestris24 said:

I was asking before how thick and what make your standard t-ring is i.e. the one in your photo? I might be wrong but it doesn't look like any of the standard t-rings I have.

Louise

Not sure off the top of my head. It's all wrapped up under the cover at the moment. I did wonder about that and got a baader T ring coming from Amazon to compare, can always send it back if it's the same. 

3 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Not sure off the top of my head. It's all wrapped up under the cover at the moment. I did wonder about that and got a baader T ring coming from Amazon to compare, can always send it back if it's the same. 

It's really worth getting a digital caliper - I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007K7F04C/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Yeah, sent them the sub that I posted in this thread and the pic of the image train

I'm confused - your photo shows a standard eos t ring but the example sub was taken with a low profile t ring?

Louise

3 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

I'm confused - your photo shows a standard eos t ring but the example sub was taken with a low profile t ring?

Louise

No, the sub in this thread was with the image train pic in this thread. Standard t ring not a low profile one. 60sec sub ISO 1600

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

No, the sub in this thread was with the image train pic in this thread. Standard t ring not a low profile one. 60sec sub ISO 1600

Oh ok. I don't understand why it's so far out... I'd definitely check/measure the distance between the sensor mark line and the flattener flange/join line preferably with a digital caliper, else with a mm rule.

Louise

1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

Oh ok. I don't understand why it's so far out... I'd definitely check/measure the distance between the sensor mark line and the flattener flange/join line preferably with a digital caliper, else with a mm rule.

Louise

To measure I set it up on a flat surface with a couple of Tri squares and a steel rule. Measured 55mm so should be close. Be interesting to see the baader t ring when it arrives and compare the 2

1 minute ago, RolandKol said:

P.S. 
Looking just at the pic, without measurements... it will be close..

but I have the feeling, it does not push to 1mm which you probably need as minimum.

Waiting for test! :) I hope I am wrong

According to the distortion it's going to push it the wrong way. 

Archived