Slightly off the norm for me - An effort at M13

James

It's been clear for a few days down in Devon. I say clear - it's been murky and hazy... but, a clear sky is a clear sky...

In between getting subs for an image of the Leo Triplet I'm working on, I got some RGB of M13 as it rose up in the east over a couple of nights this last week after the Leo Triplet crossed the meridian and entered the murky light polluted skies in the direction of Exeter.

M13 is one of those fairly rare objects that I think look every bit as good visually through a scope as on an image :) I can't quite get over the number of little galaxies that are visible if I stretch the image a lot more than I have here. As it is there are quite a few, one off to the upper right, one near the edge of the field of view, but also at least two visible on the right hand side near the end...

I used an ASI1600mm-Pro through an Esprit 120 with Astronomik RGB filters. 20x 20 seconds each of L, R, G, B so less than 30 minutes data - actually, by dithering I probably doubled the time taken...

Now I have to hope for more clear skies to finish off my Leo Triplet! 

M13.thumb.jpg.91d0409ece70134132dd37d92729e1b0.jpg

Nice one :)

Is that shot with the flattener or " As is " ? Either way it's hard to believe we can get such good shots with only 20 second exposures. 

A very detailed and clean image.

Dave.

Thank you :)

@davew - with the flattener :)  I cropped off a little around the edges for aesthetic reasons - it was largely dark space and the stars were nice to the edges.. maybe I should try without the flattener as it's not a huge sensor..

James

Archived