Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pocket Sky Atlas

Cjg

My 7 year old Pocket Sky Atlas is falling apart, a veteran of numerous damp stargazing sessions at Seething, four AstroCamps in Cwmdu and two Messier Marathons at the AstroFarm in France; if it was a regular book, I'd be ashamed to have treated it so badly. 

Seeing the post about the financial difficulties of the magazine that created the book, I ordered another. Want to protect this copy as best I can and searched on the net for a book cover to offer a little more protection this time from the damp. I eventually found a site, but to order a custom cover was a right pain in the proverbial! After measuring the height and width, you have to convert the measurements to this sites code....in the end I emailed the site and asked the owner to share a link to order the correctly sized cover, which he did.

So if you've a pocket Sky Atlas and want to protect it a little - here's the url to order the cover  https://www.loveyourbook.co.uk/book-covers/height-200mm-to-250mm/adjustable-plastic-book-cover-h240mm-x-l335-380mm.html The rear could do with a little more protection, but this is better than before.

I've no relationship with the company, other than ordering the book cover, and if I were to review them, I'd have to express my frustration at trying to find the url for the correct product, but as the cover was only £3 (with similar postage) I'm not going to do so.

Chris

IMG_8748.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

• Like 4

A message from our Editor-in chief.

To our loyal subscribers and other supporters:
As many of you have heard, F+W Media, which owns Sky & Telescope, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on March 10, 2019.

I want to reassure you that, during our parent company's restructuring process, Sky & Telescope will continue to publish. It's business-as-usual with our magazine, website, products, and tours as we seek a qualified buyer for our brand. Our expectation is that we'll be bought by a new owner in the next few months, without major disruption to the magazine or other elements of our business.

In the meantime, I ask for your patience and understanding as we work our way through this involved process. Please know that I and the rest of the staff have every confidence that Sky & Telescope will emerge from this restructuring not only intact but better equipped to serve you in our shared passion for astronomy. We are committed to preserving S&T's legacy well into the future.

As always, thank you for your loyal support. It means more to us now than ever.

Sincerely,

Peter Tyson
Editor in chief
Sky & Telescope''

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I got my S&T pocket sky atlas, I completely took it to bits, laminated all the pages and rebound in a plastic folder.

Probably too late if you have a tatty one, but perhaps an option for some.

Well done for having a tatty atlas, much better than a pristine one that’s not seen a lot of use......

Ed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

When I got my S&T pocket sky atlas, I completely took it to bits, laminated all the pages and rebound in a plastic folder.

Probably too late if you have a tatty one, but perhaps an option for some.

Well done for having a tatty atlas, much better than a pristine one that’s not seen a lot of use......

Ed.

Thats dedication, I don't think I'd have the patience to do that, delighted that @Wiu-Wiu has shared that all will be well with the publishers. Agreed a well used tatty atlas much better than an unused one! 

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 years later...

As most will know S&T is alive and well in the hands of AAS. They regularly advertise the jumbo version of the Atlas, available from their shop. I have both sizes and find the jumbo easier to read in the dark and it has a hard cover. Perhaps the pocket was out of print? I recall it was being revised??

I subscribe to the magazine from the UK and it arrives mostly on time.

https://www.shopatsky.com/maps-globes/sky-atlases

Edited by Stephenstargazer