Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What have I done?!

bazza

Oooohwer! I've bought something.....

Begins with SBIG!

A ST-10XME - awaiting delivery!

Which scope shall I put it on though?

Do I use the 10XME on the LX200R with the AP reducer and move the SXV-H9 to the Zenithstar and get a reducer (WOMk3?) for this?

Or, do I use the 10XME on the Zenithstar (still probably want a reducer) and leave the H9 on the LX200R with the AP reducer. (This AP reducer is not suited to refractors).

I want to do widefield through the Zenithstar and it would seem the 10XME is very suited to this

What do I do???!!!

Can't wait for postie!!

Barry.

Very nice :p

Self-guding with a reflector is great, as the guide CCD picks up all the mirror flop too - however, that's only going to work well for LRGB, not narrowband, and you may need to experiment with guiding through a blue filter too. You'll be working at pretty high resolution, even with the reducer, so may need short guide exposures which can make finding a good guide star a chore.

I'd start with the refractor and narrowband, forget about self-guiding for a little bit and work to the real strength of the ST-10XME which is the mega QE at H-alpha. Take 10min subs, guide through the LX200 and wonder where all that H-alpha emitting gas came from in your images :hello2:

P.S. it goes really, really deep with M42 ... but if your subs are too long the core of M42 will bloom through an H-alpha filter too, it's that sensitive

I think I ought to point out that, I could never afford one of these new - it's used!

So there I was, thinking of a One Shot Colour camera and I opted for the SBIG.

Strange world - astrophotography!

Reflector it is then Ben!

Barry.

Hiya,

I have the ST10XME, and LX200R and it works very well, i have had no problems with mirror shift while guiding . And using a shorter FL and Ha is awesome with this camera, just take a look at Ian Kings web site and his images using a LX200R and ST10

Paul J

Archived