NGC3718 & NGC3729 early morning snap shot

gorann

After collecting lum on NGC 4725 until 2 AM (see another post here), I changed cameras and turned the Esptit 150 towards these two galaxies and managed to catch 3 hours (19 x 10 min) RGB with the ASI071MC (gain 200, offset 30, -15°C). I think it looks rather promising but I should collect lum for it next time I get a chance, which could be a while due to travel and the moon.

20190312 NGC3718 RGB PS26smallSign.jpg

40 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

So this is what it's supposed to look like. It blows my image of the same galaxies out of the water and I had just shy of 9 hours with a OSC camera, bortle 6 skies and no LPS. 

Outstanding image. 

Thanks Geordie! This was taken early Monday morning and SQM showed 20.9, which would be Bortle 4, so my rural site with a darker sky probably helped. We have snow cover here now so that brightens the sky up (on the best of nights without snow cover I can get SQM 21.4).

13 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Very nice image Göran. I look forward to the addition of Lum. I'm sure it will look even more impressive.

Thanks! I promise I will get lum one night but right now it is snowing (got an additional 40 cm of snow last night - no spring in sight here)

44 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

So this is what it's supposed to look like. It blows my image of the same galaxies out of the water and I had just shy of 9 hours with a OSC camera, bortle 6 skies and no LPS. 

Outstanding image. 

I had a look at your post and it is a really nice image! The main difference from mine is probably the resolution when you zoom in and that could also relate to the differences in aperture (98 vs 150 mm). Accordig to Olly @ollypenrice there is something with 6" refractors and galaxies......

For the record, here is an annotaded image (done in PI) of major stars and galaxies in the inage. And I see more apparent galaxies in there than annotated. I am particularly intrigued by the obviously interacting galaxies (PGC35620 and others) just left to NGC 3718 but when googling them I found no great images and very little info. Clearly quite bright for their sizes. Could be a nice target for someone with a big reflector in a very dark site.....

20190312_NGC3718_RGB_PS26 Annotated.jpg

20190312_NGC3718_RGB_PS26 AnnotatedCrop.jpg

Archived