Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ultrafaint supernova remnant G182.4+4.3 in Auriga

pietervdv

Hello all,

A year since my previous post on the deepsky forum, I have worked on another ultrafaint supernova remnant the last 2 weeks, G182.4+4.3 in auriga. I only found one other amateur image of it on the web which served as inspiration. The data was collected during a very nice clear spell (7 nights).

There is an article on the object here with some images taken with a 1,5m professional instrument. I collected over 24 hours of data to compose this 2 pane mosaic. The data was stretched very harshly to reveal the faint details and had to be inverted to pull it from the background noise.

Equipment: Homebuilt 10" f/3.8 Astrograph with Wynne corrector

Sensor: ASI-1600MM-cool cmos

Exposure: 288 x 5min = 24hrs

Filter: Astrodon 5nm h-alpha

Thanks for checking it out,

Pieter

G182.4+4_small.jpg

Pieter, fascinating image, so I had a look at your web site and noticed that you built your own Newtonians and that you used double vanes, yet you only appear to have a single diffraction spike, am I missing something or does your double vanes only give a single diffraction spike?

2 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Pieter, fascinating image, so I had a look at your web site and noticed that you built you own Newtonians and that you used double vanes, yet you only appear to have a single diffraction spike, am I missing something or does your double vanes only give a single diffraction spike?

Thanks! You only see the double diffraction spikes out of focus. You also see them when the spider vanes are not well aligned. The double spikes converge when in focus. The double spider is a very stable and great focus aid!

Archived