Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Insight hits rock

barkis

The Insight Mars lander has been drilling into the martian terrain, but has apparently been held up by something too dense to get the drill through.

Possibly, it has encountered a hard rock, or gravel substance, so a rethink is underway to get around the problem.  I think the drillings are to facilitate the planting of heat measuring probes.

Ron.

12 minutes ago, ronl said:

I'm sure they will evolve a plan. Problem is, Insight is confined to where it sits on the surface, so if the Rock it has encountered is large slab, there's little hope of  finding a soft spot.  Hope that isn't the case though.

Ron.

2 minutes ago, barkis said:

I'm sure they will evolve a plan. Problem is, Insight is confined to where it sits on the surface, so if the Rock it has encountered is large slab, there's little hope of  finding a soft spot.  Hope that isn't the case though.

Ron.

Yeah. I was gonna say my solution is the shuffle over a bit and dig somewhere else. You'd have thought they'd have thought this was somewhere between likely to inevitable. Sod's Law if nothing else. 

I suppose these little setbacks are inevitable, and no doubt there will be more of them as these tentative explore missions progress. There isn't a good enough substitute for presence of man himself, or woman for that matter.   However, for us mere mortals who will simply be on the sidelines, we shouldn't lose sight of the already superb and incredible achievements so far, as man strives towards exploring our own neighbourhood in space.

Cripes, you'd think I was writing a book ?.

Ron.

A bit of pure fantasy on my part here, but I wonder what reaction there would be, If the drill  on reaching the maximum depth, black gold gushed out.   

NASA would no doubt call on Bruce Willis to form a team and get out there.?

OK, I've turned my Dopey switch off.

Ron.

myDopey 

Archived