Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Your most useful scope modification is........

Doc

I'm bored as it's another cloudy night. So I was wondering what is the most useful modification that you have performed on your scope.

Mine is adding wheels and wheelbarrow handles to my dob. Has made life so much easier, takes just a few moments and I'm viewing.

Whats yours?

Adding industrial strength handles to the OTA has to be the most useful - a long one on the top for carrying and a shorter one under the focuser as an aid in carrying the tube vertically through 2 doorways and for moving the tube when observing.

Adding industrial strength handles to the OTA has to be the most useful - a long one on the top for carrying and a shorter one under the focuser as an aid in carrying the tube vertically through 2 doorways and for moving the tube when observing.

I've also got industrial handles. One on the upper OTA and one on the lower OTA.

Makes life alot easier.

Is that the TAL wooden legs. I have the ones that are fitted to the TAL 100r and they are fantastic. Built really well.

Setup properly the Tal tripod is a great piece of kit. Best not to get a small child with weedy arms to tighten everything up :hello2:

The legs on my SLT aren't as long as they used to be though;

Tal1 SLT

Mine was actually a dual-mod but it was done at the same time, so I guess it counts as one mod. :p

I dis-assembled the LX-10 and replaced the factory glue grease with snowmobile grease so the worm gear wouldn't stop when it got down to the freezing point outside. At the same time, I moved the potentiometer from the (inaccessible :hello2: ) bottom of the base to a spot on the front of the base where it can be adjusted easily during a session.

bit of insulation tape that goes between my SCTs rear thread and the skylight filter. It stops the filter sticking to the focal reducer or focusser and coming off with them.

luminous tent pegs (for star parties)

Archived