NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dew heater and camera lens

Albireo380

I have an astrozap dew heater with a couple of tapes. One tape is used on my LX90, but I often image at the same time using a Canon 350D with a fixed wide angle lens or telephoto.

Would there be any problem created by slipping the smaller dew heater tape around the lens on the camera - say just behind the front layer of glass? Would it work effectively without causing a problem on either a (say 1hr polar trails exposure) or a series of 2min tracking exposures?

Tom

Hi there don't be afraid to turn up the power in order to get the heat through all that plastic and metal on most camera lenses. Heaters should never get hot enough to cause damage. However I wouldn't recommend using constant 12v power - always use a fused regulation device of some kind, preferably a dew controller. Nick

Would there be any problem created by slipping the smaller dew heater tape around the lens on the camera...

No problems at all - the controller you currently use will allow you to regulate the power to both leads independently.

HTH

I also do that with the small 2" EP Astrozap strap (try saying that when your drunk) on the 300D lens.

It works a treat, I live in a very dewey area nad I've not suffered with dew since buying the Astrozap.

Ant

Archived