Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

orion nebula

andy fearn

17 minutes ago, andy fearn said:

Hi all

did anybody see a white streak appear just left of orion last night.not sure what it was but think it was a comet.??

I've been imaging Orion widefield for hours yesterday. At what time did you see it? Where? 

For sure not a comet, they are very long term events. Can you describe it? 

I have checked all my frames starting at 20.30 CET (your 7.30 PM) , and apart from a plane on half of them ?, I saw no such streak. 

I am currently in Toulouse (SW of France), which leads me to think that it was an object at relatively low latitude. 

But tonight between 20.23 and 20.26 CET, I have recorded a small meteor in Taurus, close to M45, at

3h 54m 18s, 15deg 38' 20". 

10 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Thought it was just a satellite but could be wrong. 

From my point of view it could have been one out of two things: 

A meteor

An IRIDIUM flare: the first generation had three flat antennas , and under a given geometry these reflect the sun light in a way that creates a strip on Earth. If you're with in this strip, you see a light in the satellite position. It grows, remains steady and then darkens.

Typically a meteor is very fast, less than a Second, while a flare is much slower, it can last a few seconds, up to 10-15

Archived