SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light with Skywatcher ED72 - California Nebula

After receiving my shiny new ED72 for Christmas from my fabulous wife, the weather has been awful and its first outing was last night.

Details:
Scope: Skywatcher ED72
Mount: Nexstar Evolution on wedge
Camera: Canon 1100D (unmodified)
Guider: QHY5Lii-c on Skywatcher 9x50 finderguider
Exposures: 45 x 120", ISO 1600, no flats, no darks, no bias
Software: APT for capture, DSS for stacking, Photoshop for post processing

It's very noisy with nowhere near enough exposure time, but the clouds thwarted any attempts to continue further for now.

NGC1499.png

9 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Great result for an unmodified camera. Calibration frames would improve it. As for noise - have a look at Astroflat Pro.

Peter

Thanks Peter - I've left everything attached as it was last night so might be able to take some flats today and see how they improve things. 

I always use dithering - this one is dithered maybe a little too aggressively.  Haven't found the right settings yet for this scope to keep the dither to around 10-20 pixels.  Some dithers moved by as much as 80 pixels with this one.

Thank you Tim. I think I'm getting a little better at this, but like all of us I guess, there's always room for improvement. 

I used the OVL flattener for this shot, but added an extra 5mm backfocus distance between the flattener and the camera based on some of the comments in another thread (that I think you have been active in). I haven't tried any other spacing distances, and I'm not sure I have the expertise to really robustly assess the image quality anyway. 

1 hour ago, GraemeH said:

Thank you Tim. I think I'm getting a little better at this, but like all of us I guess, there's always room for improvement. 

I used the OVL flattener for this shot, but added an extra 5mm backfocus distance between the flattener and the camera based on some of the comments in another thread (that I think you have been active in). I haven't tried any other spacing distances, and I'm not sure I have the expertise to really robustly assess the image quality anyway. 

Graeme,

for a first outing with it, it's a cracking image,  and ever  day is a school day, suppose that should night.

I used to shot at 1600 ISO but found it noisy,  so dropped to 800 ( depends what your shooting/condition/time available I suppose) which I tend to  default too., and use Noel's actions which work a treat.  I had  ago at the California nebula at the beginning of Feb similar exposure time to yourself and found it a mare to process due to lack of data and poor framing. 

look forward to seeing more when you get the clear skies to do it.

sorry meant to ask /query, why you didn't use your Canon 6D , was it a weight thing?

I'll not talk about the other thread , leave that where it is.

Tim

4 minutes ago, Cozzy said:

sorry meant to ask /query, why you didn't use your Canon 6D , was it a weight thing?

I had the 6D on my other scope at the same time trying to shoot M1 - unfortunately it was too windy to get any usable subs at over 2000mm focal length. 

55 minutes ago, knobby said:

Looking good Graeme, nice stars to the edge too, so the spacing looks good too.

At some point I'll give it a try with full frame too, but it certainly looks OK to my untrained eye for APS-C.

I know multiple processes of the same image aren't allowed in the challenge rules, so I thought I'd just add what I think will be my final version of this one in the comments.  If anyone knows if swapping my initial entry for the reprocessed one is allowed please let me know.

NGC1499 v3.png

Archived