Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Belt mod or upgrade

Anthonyexmouth

Ok, now I'm on a permanent pier in looking at the next upgrade options that have opened up with having a stable mounting point. 

1. Belt mod my heq5

2. Az EQ6 GT, really like the lat adjustment

3. EQ6-r, bigger payload

4. CEM 60 (unlikely due to cost) 

Realistically it's between the bigger SW mounts. Are the encoders useful on the as? It's it worth losing the extra 2kg payload on the eq6-r in favour of the lat adjustment on the az?

If you are going to be guiding, then discount the encoders, on my AZ EQ6, they are always disable. As for the Latitude adjustment, it can be a curse as well as a blessing; easier to move, but very course and can sometimes get in the way of equipment when slewing....

But until I can afford a Mesu\10Micron, I wouldn't have anything else.

If the permanently on the pier, then you should only need to use the latitude adjustment once.  If it's permanently mounted, it only seems worth upgrading the mount if you need either greater tracking accuracy or more payload.  I don't know how it compares to the newer models of EQ6 mounts, but my understanding is that the off-the-shelf HEQ5Pro normally has marginally better tracking accuracy than the EQ6.

9 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Being course, how do you find polar aligning? 

The heq5 lat bolts are driving me nuts

I replaced mine.  You can get replacements/upgrades of EBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skywatcher-EQ6-HEQ5-NEQ6-mount-Upgraded-Latitude-Altitude-Adjustment-Bolts/330984010367?hash=item4d102f327f:g:BK8AAOxyD9JSBCGu:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

The HEQ5 is a cracking little mount. Upgrade the bolts and do the belt mod and you will get very good results on your permanent pier with the ED80.

Significantly better tracking performance is going to require a significant upgrade, i.e. Mesu or 10Micron or similar.

The other reason to upgrade is for an increased payload. Do you require that? If so, how much in total and which mount will give you that much? I’m guessing probably an EQ8 or back to Mesu / 10Micron etc...

Archived