Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Travel kit - opinions and advice welcome

Hi

I’m looking for a travel setup as I have now conclusively proved that the NEQ6 is *NOT* a particularly travel friendly mount ?  In thinking about this further, this will most likely end up also being my grab scope for those apparently very common nights where you can already see the clouds coming in and it really isn’t worth starting to drag out my imaging kit. 

So far, I’ve narrowed my criteria to:

1. Needs to fit in airline carry on (at least the OTA does), so I have 45cm max.
  2. I’m relatively convinced that I’m going with the SW AZ GTi (See here) so I have max. 5kg. And yes, I’m prepared for the possibility of needing to upgrade the tripod.
  3. It will be mostly visual observing, but I’m not averse to a bit of occasional imaging.
  4. I’m expecting mostly lunar and planetary viewing, and doubles, but some DSOs would be most welcome.  Yes, I basically want everything, I know.

This leaves the scope choice:

• Tak FS-60Q  (See here)
    • Yes, it’s ‘big’ but it breaks down sensible into the FS-60CB, so it fits, kind of.
    • It’s expensive, and only 60mm.
    • But look at it, it’s so pretty!  And I want one!
    • I’m worried I’ll get frustrated with the 60mm limitations

• William Optics GT-81 II (Here)
    • Significantly more light than the Tak as this is 80mm
    • It’s also heavier, but still within limit
    • Is it really ‘travel’ friendly?

• Starwave 80 ED Triplet (See here)
    • It’s cheaper
    • I’m not familiar with the brand other than knowing it exists

After much changing of my mind, I *think* I’m leaning towards the GT-81, but this is far from certain.  As I haven’t actually used any of the scopes I’m currently considering, does anyone have any experience and/or views that might be helpful?  Or options that I have overlooked?

Thanks

Justin

Just to throw some more possible choices into the mix, last summer I took a Skywatcher Star Adventurer with all the extras other than the counterweight, tripod, TS Photoline 72ED, a selection of eyepieces and a couple of cameras (including a DSLR) with me to Spain, all in hand luggage.  The counterweight would have fitted too, but I didn't fancy carrying another kilo :)  I made a counterweight from three drink cans taped together around the counterweight bar once we got there.

I was very pleased with how it all worked.

James

30 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

The Takahashi FC76 DCU is an option. It also works well with the SW AZ GTI.

I looked at the 76 but I think it pushes me beyond my notional comfort zone in terms of price.  I also couldn’t work out if it split or not, so that’s helpful to know.  Or not, as it just add’s another option :) 

49 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Just to throw some more possible choices into the mix, last summer I took a Skywatcher Star Adventurer with all the extras other than the counterweight, tripod, TS Photoline 72ED, a selection of eyepieces and a couple of cameras (including a DSLR) with me to Spain, all in hand luggage.  The counterweight would have fitted too, but I didn't fancy carrying another kilo :)  I made a counterweight from three drink cans taped together around the counterweight bar once we got there.

I was very pleased with how it all worked.

James

Hmmm, interesting.  I had discounted the Star Adventurer as I’m imagining it will be mostly visual observing and the SA didn’t seem particularly suited to that.

At 4 kilos and with a split tube, I think the TS Photoline 90mm FPL-53 triplet is a good choice. There is one on UK ABS right now.

Yes, you will have to remove one of the tubes and reassemble at destination, but it is a triplet (AP check), 90mm (10mm more aperture than the 80mm discussed above), binoviewer friendly (think lunar / planetary with binoviewers), at the limit of the mount but still will work fine. Best way to carry it on an airplane is a decent camera backpack. Allows you to carry scope and important bits and bobs, and check in the tripod and non critical bits.

1 hour ago, nicoscy said:

At 4 kilos and with a split tube, I think the TS Photoline 90mm FPL-53 triplet is a good choice. There is one on UK ABS right now.

Yes, you will have to remove one of the tubes and reassemble at destination, but it is a triplet (AP check), 90mm (10mm more aperture than the 80mm discussed above), binoviewer friendly (think lunar / planetary with binoviewers), at the limit of the mount but still will work fine. Best way to carry it on an airplane is a decent camera backpack. Allows you to carry scope and important bits and bobs, and check in the tripod and non critical bits.

Thanks - do you have any experience with the TS scope?  I’m also trying to work out exactly how the tube breaks down AKA how portable it is.

Not with this particular one but I have had 3 TS scopes so far and was quite happy with them. The people over at TS are quite responsive, so ask them for measurements.

And then perhaps you can grab the one on UK ABS - no guilt as you are removing a scope from circulation, thus creating a vacuum that needs to be filled in by the seller with the purchase of another scope and so on and so forth ;)

26 minutes ago, nicoscy said:

no guilt as you are removing a scope from circulation, thus creating a vacuum that needs to be filled in by the seller with the purchase of another scope and so on and so forth ;)

When you put it like that, as a responsible citizen I’m almost obligated to buy it, right? ;) 

10 hours ago, nicoscy said:

If the price is right for you ;)

BTW, no relation whatsoever to the seller - just a frequent visitor to UK ABS ? (which is certainly no plus to my pocket)

Frustratingly, it's a little over my 450mm criteria (at 470mm without the extension pieces in) - so it's a no :( 

That's unfortunate, although there is a simple way to make it transportable. Two shower caps and you can have the dew shield, lens cell and one part of the OTA together, and the second part of the OTA plus focuser as the other bit. Open ends are simply closed with a shower cap. I see this as the only means to get into the 90mm class of refractors and yes, it comes with a tiny bit of fiddling around.

Otherwise, the 80mm class would be good enough, but as you know, in small diameter instruments, every mm counts. The difference in surface area (hence light gathering) between 80mm and 90mm is a staggering 26.56% and something that you can definitely see at the eyepiece. Hence why I am trying to "gently push" you towards the largest portable refractor within your budget and specifications.

38 minutes ago, nicoscy said:

That's unfortunate, although there is a simple way to make it transportable. Two shower caps and you can have the dew shield, lens cell and one part of the OTA together, and the second part of the OTA plus focuser as the other bit. Open ends are simply closed with a shower cap. I see this as the only means to get into the 90mm class of refractors and yes, it comes with a tiny bit of fiddling around.

Otherwise, the 80mm class would be good enough, but as you know, in small diameter instruments, every mm counts. The difference in surface area (hence light gathering) between 80mm and 90mm is a staggering 26.56% and something that you can definitely see at the eyepiece. Hence why I am trying to "gently push" you towards the largest portable refractor within your budget and specifications.

I appreciate the push - although I’m also trying to balance the aperture with the portability and usability and don’t want to buy something ‘just becasue it’s there’.

2 minutes ago, nicoscy said:

True true! 

Other options to consider: this and this and this, mated to a flattener or flattener / reducer. 

As an observer whose smallest scope is 55mm, I will say that there is a lot to see with whatever aperture you are using. 

Yes, I was looking at the 80 triplet.  That might be the new preferred if I buy new.

I would say then it's a toss up between the TS80mm f6 Triplet with FPL-53 and the Starwave 80mm f6 Triplet with FCD100. 

- Both should perform more or less the same. FCD100 is comparable to FPL53 and anyway, it forms one of 3 lenses so it really depends on the other mating elements to decide between the two, so don't let the glass influence you.

- Both have retractable dewshields, rings and 2.5" focusers.

- TS is slightly cheaper (shipping included) than Altair, but I find the Altair design more aesthetically pleasing (that's just me).

- Both will ride just fine on the SW mount - I have a friend who uses his in EQ mode regularly with the Explore Scientific 80mm Triplet and it works just fine.

If you want to do more serious imaging, as you note, you need a guidescope and camera. When the time comes, let me know and I have a pretty good recommendation to make to keep the weight of adding a guidecamera extremely low.

Have you considered the latest Borg scopes? I have an oldish 101ED f6.4 that breaks down well for airline travel and weighs only approx 2.5kg. Not bad for a 4" scope ? It's not the best colour corrected lens but the newer ones should be better. I've taken mine overseas for solar eclipses and general astro with minimal fuss.

1 minute ago, fireballxl5 said:

Have you considered the latest Borg scopes? I have an oldish 101ED f6.4 that breaks down well for airline travel and weighs only approx 2.5kg. Not bad for a 4" scope ? It's not the best colour corrected lens but the newer ones should be better. I've taken mine overseas for solar eclipses and general astro with minimal fuss.

Most definitely - they look great, but price has led me to exclude them.  Whilst I'm hardly looking for 'budget' options, I can't quite stretch to join The Borg Collective.  Yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived