Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Computer control of SW EQ3

MartinB

I have never owned a SW mount but am thinking of getting an EQ3 pro to use with my light widefield imaging setup.  At the moment I am using a Celestron CGEM and everything works very nicely with SGP and Cartes du Ciel.  I know nothing about EQmod!  Is this what I need to control the mount from my laptop or is there a nice, simple Ascom driver?

Simply put, yes, SGP\CDC\PHD2 etc., will all work as long as windows can reliable see the mount, via a USB to serial adaptor (FTDI based is more reliable).

You just need to download & install, Ascom 6.4, EQAscom (EQMod), & hook it all up...  yes there are learning curves, but if your used to using CDC\SGPro, then it should be straightforward.

10 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Hi Martin

EQMOD is what you need with the EQ3 and other Skywatcher mounts, sits there much as the Sitech software does with the Mesu.  Kayron Mercieca's LightVortexAstronomy has a good tutorial on how to set it up.

Dave

Thanks Laurin, it is having to deal with something akin to Sitech that disturbs me!  Thanks for the tutorial tip

If you have basic DIY skills you can make your own cable far cheaper than commercial ones. All you need is suitable FTDI based USB/Serial dongle and UTP/RJ45 cable & connector (also known as 8P8C).

EQMod is just ASCOM mount driver that communicates via serial with SW mounts (that part is called EQAscom, there are other apps within EQMod suite, but not needed for basic mount operation - there is EQMosaic, EQTour, PecPrep, used for different things like mosaic planning, tour of the sky, etc ...).

Here you can find details about FTDI device build:

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/reqindex.html

(note - get one with 5V signaling not 3V).

Archived