SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Evening 16/2/2019

Astro Imp

It had been cloudy all day until late afternoon when I had a nearly cloud free sky. 
While my meal was cooking I set the scope ready for a an evening of lunar observing.
By the time I'd eaten the moon was playing hide and seek with the clouds but it wasn't too bad.
Started with old favourites Aristarchus/Herodotus and Schroter's Valley. I never tire of this fantastic area. Spent a long time tracing the valley as it meandered north and west starting just north of Herodotus. Next on the list was a move south to Marius and count the domes, to the north west. By this time the clouds were starting to win so had a break and made a cup of tea hoping the sky would clear. Unfortunately it is now 100% cloud.
So frustrating, you get teased into thinking you will have a pleasurable evening, not too cold either, but the weather gods can't resist in getting their way.

I had a similar experience Alan. My wife was watching some rubbish she'd recorded on the TV, so I set my 100mm scope up in my observatory, rolled back the roof, and spent a good hour or more sitting comfortably as I just toured the lunar surface. The cloud was extensive but fast moving, and there were plenty of sucker holes that allowed some wonderfully sharp views. Even when cloaked in cloud the moon gave a pretty good show. It would have been so easy not to have bothered as the conditions looked pretty abysmal, but it was well worth the effort. As I sat back in my high back swivel chair with my binoviewer tilted horizontally for comfort, I slowly and repeatedly scanned the terminator admiring the "magnificent desolation", with no real purpose in mind other than to simply enjoy the view. It was a great evening and immeasurably better than anything they could put on the TV.

Thanks Alan, your account places clarity confirming those features seen and knowledgeable details have provided myself with a deeper understanding for this particular phase. Set up with my refractor on the allotment for what became a fairly short observation period, I enjoyed this region to, until cloud cover had also taken over. Even a brief encounter is good and as Mike implies, escaping the Saturday TV to be outdoors always welcome.

Nice one Alan, good to get out even if the conditions weren't ideal. Shröter's Valley is one of my favourite areas too. It was briefly clear here when I popped out to finish up for the evening, even naked eye it looked lovely. 

6 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I slowly and repeatedly scanned the terminator admiring the "magnificent desolation", with no real purpose in mind other than to simply enjoy the view. It was a great evening and immeasurably better than anything they could put on the TV.

Couldn’t have put it better :). I’m getting really quite addicted to lunar obs. Even over an evening there are subtle changes to the appearance of the various features as the lighting shifts slightly. 

As for TV - it works quite well. Mrs Danny has a host of programs recorded and I get out of her hair. It’s a win-win. 

Archived